Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer primotar 2.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Meyer primotar 2.8/50 Reply with quote

Does anyone know or have any samples from this lens? I saw many good samples here of the primotar 3.5/50, but the only thread about the 2.8 is without pics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember for Primotar with 2.8 aperture, can you show lens ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this:Click here to see on Ebay

I never saw one before some days ago, when it showed up both at a local used stuff shop and on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the 2.8/50 before but not often. The barrel is the same as was used on later Ludwig Meritars.

The Primotar 3.5/50 is one of my favourite 50s, great lens.

No idea if this one is the same or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Meritar finish ... may just labeled to Primoplan may not..
take it and try it Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
take it and try it Wink

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
take it and try it Wink

I will, if I can get a decent price at the used stuff store.
I don't think I'm wanting to struggle with an unknown amount of fungus for a lens about which I know nothing, so probably I'll let the ebay one go.

Thanks, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page would suggest that its value (quality??) is about a third between the difference from a Meritar to a Tessar

http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/praktica/iv.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 3.5/50 is a great lens, I prefer it to the Tessar, nicer bokeh and colours for me.

If this 2.8/50 is similar I'd say it's worth the same as the 3.5/50 - a little more than a tessar due to scarcity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Primoplan it is just an early Domiplan, as it is a Meyer lens, no Ludwig.
A triplet in 3.5 can be nice, in 2.8 the design is most times somewhat overstretched.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primoplan is not a triplet and a totally different lens to the one being discussed here.

This Primotar maybe is a triplet, who knows.

It has almost the same barrel as the Ludwig Meritar later version:

The earlier 3.5/50 Primotar looks like this:

[img]http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12808[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Primotar is a tessar type, 4 element lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won this lens, it will complement the silver version which I also have.

In between rain showers (Olympic weather trumps Wimbledon !!!) I managed a few test shots shown below. All are 2.8 with different colour styles and the low contrast ones are with Cinestyle on a Canon 550D. They all feature the mad Meyer Bokeh Smile

All are Jpegs out of the camera. No PP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these too, I acquired it quite some time ago and I've never used it. It is a well made and beautifully finished lense, It looks quite attractive with its distinctive polished alloy tapered barrel. If it works as good as it looks, it has to be a cracker, maybe I'll stick it on to my old Praktica MTL50 and see what it'll do, it looks fungous free so it should give good results as most 2.8's do excluding Domiplans of course!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one really cheapy, wonderful looking lens but need some cleaning, will test it sooner or later but I need an exa adapter too

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens and lovely looking too.

The black version reminds me of Darth Vader!