Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 180mm f5.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 180mm f5.5 Reply with quote

in Exakta Mt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. I have one of these lenses and keep meaning to give it a go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this lens sharp wide open ,and capable of great tones. I bought this lens cheap as a fixer . The owner hand taken out the focusing ring-and did not know how it went back in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Meyer, but I don't love f/5.5.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two favorite slow lenses in that neighborhood, the Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and the Tele-Takumar 200/5.6. Both great, both different. Neither will be sold while I am still alive. Both will be taken on my upcoming long journey. Sometimes, slow is good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I have two favorite slow lenses in that neighborhood, the Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and the Tele-Takumar 200/5.6. Both great, both different. Neither will be sold while I am still alive. Both will be taken on my upcoming long journey. Sometimes, slow is good.

Yes, and the way I see it, a lot of lenses need to be stopped down a couple of stops to get the best of their sharpness anyways. So that fast f4 200mm might not be really sharp until f8 and in real use performs no better than a slower f5.6 lens that is equally sharp at f8.

How often do you use a long lens wide open? I rarely use mine wider than f8, and that still gives good bokeh with long lenses.

I still feel both blessed and cursed to own a Tair-3C. Blessed because it's the sharpest telephoto I've ever owned, cursed because the IQ of all my other telephotos now seems crap by comparison and further cursed because the Tair is simply too big and heavy to carry around. If only there was a 180mm or 200mm lighter version of the Tair I'd be happy, I guess a Jupiter-21M would seem the logical next purchase for me, I already have a Jupiter-11A I enjoy a lot.

Can ayone J-21M owners tell me, is this lens also a solid hunk of metal like the J-11A and Tair-3C? I love Russian lenses for the way they feel like they were built to survive a nuclear war!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This little lens isn't the fastest car on the street at f4.5

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-135mm-f4-5-twin-tele-225mm-some-snaps-t37559.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-135mm-f4-5-twin-tele-225mm-t34289.html

but it surprises me. I plan to give it an outing tomorrow and hope the sun shines.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
This little lens isn't the fastest car on the street at f4.5

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-135mm-f4-5-twin-tele-225mm-some-snaps-t37559.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-135mm-f4-5-twin-tele-225mm-t34289.html

but it surprises me. I plan to give it an outing tomorrow and hope the sun shines.

After two solid days of rain and grey skies I'm praying for sun tomorrow too! I got a couple of 200mm lenses to test and the more sun the better for them for contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I have two favorite slow lenses....... the Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and the Tele-Takumar 200/5.6. Both great, both different......

Hi RioRico.

In the both different topic, why? Which is the sharpest? And the contrastier? In CA?

Thanks,

Rino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Can ayone J-21M owners tell me, is this lens also a solid hunk of metal like the J-11A and Tair-3C? I love Russian lenses for the way they feel like they were built to survive a nuclear war!

You couldn't tell better. I didn't see any 200mm lens built like that. It's great glass it's a big chunk of metal also. If you like 300mm Tair then Jupiter is its brother Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardsing my comment about f/5.5 and the responses, I'm speaking from more of an ease of use perspective. Sure, it's good to get the great out-of-focus rendering that a fast lens gives, but it's more than just that. The slower lens is more limited in when it can be used, and to me there is a bigger issue - the brightness of the viewfinder. With a faster lens I can focus more easily before stopping down for the shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You couldn't tell better. I didn't see any 200mm lens built like that. It's great glass it's a big chunk of metal also. If you like 300mm Tair then Jupiter is its brother Smile.

Excellent, thankyou. I'm saving up for a J21M then!

I already have a Tair 3C, J11A, half a dozen Helios 44s, an Industar 50 and a Jupiter 8 so you could say I've caught the Russian lens bug!