Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meopta Projection lenses using new Rafcamera 52.5mm adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Meopta Projection lenses using new Rafcamera 52.5mm adapter Reply with quote

Got a new adapter from RAFCAMERA to test, which allows to mount 52.5mm projection lenses using a M65 helicoid.
http://rafcamera.com/en/52-5mm-to-m65-adapter

(click on image to see a larger one)

Used Meopta 1.3/35mm

and 1.4/70mm

(bare with me that white balance was not identical)

Both Meopta projection lenses were used "as is" on my m4/3 camera, no modification needed whatsoever to reach infinity to very close up.
Adapter works very well, as it should.

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone need the exact adapter Click here to see on Ebay .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, forgot that he also sells on ebay Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a few more shot outside...

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157648073130494/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: new interest Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Here a few more shot outside...

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157648073130494/

Beautiful images indeed ! I just registered to express my admiration. I have been on a quest for Petzval design lenses and shooting with them from the time Lomography introduced the Petzval on DSLR. I had done quite a bit of wetplate photography in wooden sliding cameras ( 8x10 and 5x7 ) in the past when I was healthier and younger. Your work has left such impression on me, I have to follow your lead.
I did some reading in this forum and other places on line ( translated german ) about the operation required for converting Meopta Projector lenses. The subject and the knowhow is somewhat aged yet here and there one finds gems like your work.

I have purchased two lenses ( unconverted 50mm and 35mm ) the third one, a 70mm will be purchased as soon as I could get hold of one.
Could you post an update on your method of mounting the lens, the preferred sensor size, and if possible sources for professionally converting Meopta lenses. Or if you recommend a DIY workflow.

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you haven't seen what I had a posted: http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-modularily-mount-a-projection-lens-t70393,highlight,%2Bprojection.html

A mirrorless camera is certainly beneficial, a NEX A7 would certainly be a great candidate due to the shorter camera register.

I'm not sure you'll be able the 35, 50 + 70mm, the 35mm and 70mm works well for me w/o modification. The 50mm does not.

I don't know anyone in CA or the US who does lens modifications, only our member Hinnerker here in Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Guess you haven't seen what I had a posted: http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-modularily-mount-a-projection-lens-t70393,highlight,%2Bprojection.html

A mirrorless camera ..., only our member Hinnerker here in Germany.

No, in fact I had not seen this specific posting. And what dark magic of sorcery your creation is !?
Detailed image is saying a lot. I had wondered how the heck one could insert the Meopta inside a helicoid without adding to the flange.

Immediately after seeing this attached image I started looking for a suitable " M65 to M42 helicoid ". Currently there are two flavours available on eBay and non appears to be as tall as the one you have used. I have a feeling if the M65 to M42 is not tall enough the back of Meopta 70mm will get buggle down with the M42 to the camera adapter and that will limit the range of motion in helicoid.

Well, it's going to be another $70 admission fee to the wonderland of Petzval photography. I hope it works.

Thank you for digging that old posting. I really appreciate the wisdom in it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperfocal wrote:
kds315* wrote:

No, in fact I had not seen this specific posting....

I have a feeling if the M65 to M42 is not tall enough the back of Meopta 70mm will get buggle down with the M42 to the camera adapter and that will limit the range of motion in helicoid.

I am replying to me own posting because I think I figure it out.
The height of adapters are " IRRELEVANT " as the Meopta lens is able to move freely inside the combined adapters and then it will remain in proper position with the " set screws " of M65 adapter when the optimum position for infinity focus is achieved. Genius.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperfocal wrote:
Hyperfocal wrote:
kds315* wrote:

No, in fact I had not seen this specific posting....

I have a feeling if the M65 to M42 is not tall enough the back of Meopta 70mm will get buggle down with the M42 to the camera adapter and that will limit the range of motion in helicoid.

I am replying to me own posting because I think I figure it out.
The height of adapters are " IRRELEVANT " as the Meopta lens is able to move freely inside the combined adapters and then it will remain in proper position with the " set screws " of M65 adapter when the optimum position for infinity focus is achieved. Genius.

Great you got it. I'm always happy to not "tube-feed" people, but to have them figure out things themselves, as that is kept in memory and lasts Wink

(the adapter height is not completely irrelevant, a long as it allows to dive deeply enough into that long helicoid, to achieve infinity focus)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked great!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Great way to adapt lenses Klaus, Thanks for sharing.

Like a VNEX for the big ones.

I can't seem to find the M65 to m42 helicoid anymore on ebay.

Any special source?

I assume all are sold and new ones currently being made.
You may want to inquire directly at Rafcamera.com