Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Megan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Megan Reply with quote

Megan
Pensacola Beach, FL
Nikon D700, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS Nikkor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad at all, and certainly an attractive subject.

Like 1 Like 1

How close to wide open was the lens?

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine picture. Saw the 180/2.8 AIS Nikkor with an AP photographer. He was laconic about his Nikon equipment, saying that his company supplied it. Years later I learnt that he was a Pulitzer Prize winner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chhayanat wrote:
Fine picture. Saw the 180/2.8 AIS Nikkor with an AP photographer. He was laconic about his Nikon equipment, saying that his company supplied it. Years later I learnt that he was a Pulitzer Prize winner.

I often wonder about what the purpose of making statements like the above is. The statement it's self really doesn't prove anything at all.

For those of us that were saddled with the F mount from their photographic starts, nothing really new is being said here.
Nikon did make some very good lenses for their time period, and even pioneered a few, and like most other makers turned out some lenses that were mediocre.

I have personally handled the 180 2.8 nikkor, and it is a very nice lens, that is still unfortunately out of the range of affordable for me. For those that have one, like and use it, more power to them.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
chhayanat wrote:

I often wonder about what the purpose of making statements like the above is. The statement it's self really doesn't prove anything at all.

For those of us that were saddled with the F mount from their photographic starts, nothing really new is being said here.
Nikon did make some very good lenses for their time period, and even pioneered a few, and like most other makers turned out some lenses that were mediocre.

I have personally handled the 180 2.8 nikkor, and it is a very nice lens, that is still unfortunately out of the range of affordable for me. For those that have one, like and use it, more power to them.

-D.S.

Is that why we're here? To prove something? Nah...

You can pick up a 180 f2.8 Ais ED for $150US offa the auction site. That's pretty affordable for me and I'm outta work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
chhayanat wrote:

-D.S.

Is that why we're here? To prove something? Nah...

You can pick up a 180 f2.8 Ais ED for $150US offa the auction site. That's pretty affordable for me and I'm outta work.

Agreed on the "proof" concept.

As for pricing, things are a bit on the higher side around here, at least where the 180 2.8 is concerned. I suspect it is in demand a bit yet.

I'm four years past a slightly early forced retirement, and am still able to entertain myself with some good lenses at reasonable pricing- just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There's still hope for me. Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
chhayanat wrote:

-D.S.

There was no particular purpose in making the observation that was made. It was simply a statement of a mundane fact which might have been of interest to some as it was to me. Neither was there any urge to prove anything.