Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium Format --> FF/Crop Focal Reducer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Medium Format --> FF/Crop Focal Reducer? Reply with quote

Hi!
Basically focal reducers are nothing more than loupes.

I've just found an loup from an dirty old slide viewer which magnifies 35mm slide to about 6 cm length.
I tried to use it as an focal reducer (handheld behind a 6x9 lens) - it works but as expected IQ was was not very good, as it was a singlet only which adds a lot abberations.
I wonder if another kind of lens could be used to magnify the sensor / reduce the focal length?
I was thinking about using achromatic doublet from telescopes but cheap ones "only" have 6cm diameter (like http://forum.mflenses.com/meade-astronomical-telescope-291-f900mm-f114-75-on-nex-t54263,highlight,%2Bmeade.html) and I have not idea how to adapt them. Also I guess that they are well corrected for CAs but not perfectly for flatfield, as basic eyepieces generally only have small entrance pupil.

Any more ideas? Do slide viewers exist which have CA+flatflied corrected loupe?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of fast f=50mm 35mm camera lens used reversed as a loupe...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a P6 speedbooster/ Lens Turbo Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I have heard of fast f=50mm 35mm camera lens used reversed as a loupe...

Very most of these lenses have small exit pupil so that doesn't make much sense as focal reducer. Even most F1.2 50mm lenses only have a ~40-42mm exit pupil diameter. No not even close to 56x56mm of a P6

Btw. I've tried an 900mm ~F15 (60mm diameter) doublet from an basic cheap telescope. It does work basically but amount of boost is quite small, giving an ~0,9x crop only, as focal length is very long. But most cheap telescopes are 600mm with 60mm diameter and so schould work a little more efficient.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have 150mm/2.8 medium format lens, and getting even 0.5X speed booster would be nice, but have almost no time to take care of that.

Regarding the lens we need, there are several sources, one of them is a projector-like device, but have no idea how this device is called. The device, looks like movie projector, but accepts standard 4x6 photos as input, and projects them onto wall. It has two triplet lens, translucent mirror and other things too. What we need is the bottom triplet lens assembly.

Another source can be an old polaroid instant camera, mounted in reverse, i.e. you project image from your medium format lens to area, where cartridge with film was located, and attach your camera where the lens input is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a reverse-mounted 2X TC work?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had such idea, tried, it does not works Smile but the external (the one that goes in front of the lens) should work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Would a reverse-mounted 2X TC work?

No, a TC stays a TC when reversed like a loupe stays a loupe when reversed.

The optical block of such a toy might be very good as focal reducer:
Click here to see on Ebay.de
Also maybe some xray or aero surveillance lenses could be used as FR