Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MD and FD on EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
That's why the're cheap (a relative term !) - they don't do everything. Not everyone can afford an expensive body, and some of those who can choose to spend their money on other other things. And these entry-level bodies are small and light - for some people this is a distinct advantage.

As to the lack of metering - some people learn to live with it. Chimping is not too difficult. If you look on Flickr, and indeed on this site, you will find plenty of examples of fine pictures taken with a cheap Nikon body and non-metering lenses.

Of course if you use a Nikon lens on a Nikon body you retain automatic aperture, which is something you lose if you use the lens on some other platforms.

Yep, and entry level cameras from other brands meter, so why would you chimp? Chimping is not easy at all, particularly for beginners who would likely be those buying an entry level camera. The automatic aperture is a good reason to buy a Nikon, granted, but I'd much rather have metering! Nikon is not a good choice for manual focus lenses unless you buy a top end body and use Ai or above lenses.

sichko wrote:
I don't think that you are being very kind to Stan. Surely the skills and equipment required to re-engineer an FD mount are far greater than those needed to effect a DIY Ai conversion.

Obviously, but the point I'm making is that the majority of users don't want to be cutting bits of metal off the back of their lenses!

Don't get me wrong, I think recent Nikons are great value for money. They have some superb Sony sensors inside and generally feel very well built, regardless of whether they are entry level bodies or pro spec machines. But they are not a good idea for MF enthusiasts unless you are happy with using a limited selection of lenses on pro bodies, or don't mind chimping with entry level bodies.

Dnas, thank you for the samples from the glass adapter. This is consistent with other results around the interweb Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
sichko wrote:
That's why the're cheap (a relative term !) - they don't do everything. Not everyone can afford an expensive body, and some of those who can choose to spend their money on other other things. And these entry-level bodies are small and light - for some people this is a distinct advantage.

As to the lack of metering - some people learn to live with it. Chimping is not too difficult. If you look on Flickr, and indeed on this site, you will find plenty of examples of fine pictures taken with a cheap Nikon body and non-metering lenses.

Of course if you use a Nikon lens on a Nikon body you retain automatic aperture, which is something you lose if you use the lens on some other platforms.

Yep, and entry level cameras from other brands meter, so why would you chimp?

Because I've got a non-metering lens on a cheap Nikon body.

Quote:
Chimping is not easy at all, particularly for beginners who would likely be those buying an entry level camera.

I never said it was easy. It's difficult, to begin with at least, but it's not impossible. I'm not recommending it to anyone, but simply presenting it as a posibility to those who might like to use particular Nikon lenses on particular Nikon camera bodies.

Quote:
The automatic aperture is a good reason to buy a Nikon, granted, but I'd much rather have metering!

That's your choice. Others may differ.

Quote:
Nikon is not a good choice for manual focus lenses unless you buy a top end body and use Ai or above lenses.

Using a non-metering camera-lens combination may not be ideal but what if someone hasn't got the money for anything else ? What is he supposed to do ? Give up using MF lenses because he han't got the ideal combination. No. Selling everything and buying a Canon is not the answer. Our hypothetical guy really likes Nikon - for all sorts of reasons not connected with MF lenses. So I'm trying to offer an alternative to moving to another platform.

Quote:
... the majority of users don't want to be cutting bits of metal off the back of their lenses!

I'm sure that you are right, but we've seen plently of metal-workers on this forum and not just those carrying out DIY Ai conversions.

Quote:
But they are not a good idea for MF enthusiasts unless you are happy with using a limited selection of lenses on pro bodies, or don't mind chimping with entry level bodies.

My comments are addressed to Nikon users, whether MF enthusiasts or not, interested in using pre-Ai lenses on modern Nikon bodies, a challenge presented in an earlier post in this thread. I'm not trying to convert anyone to Nikon, nor am I saying that Nikon is the best solution for those more widely interested in using MF lenses.

Of course if our hypothetical (in practice not-so hypothetical) cash-strapped Nikon user can find some money for a few dandelions (chips) he doesn't have to chimp at all.

Edited for typos.