Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Max. magnification of a lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Max. magnification of a lens? Reply with quote

Is there a way to calculate a lens magnification ratio, if you have certain lens specs (minimum focus distance, focal length etc)?

I've been searching a bit on the Internet and I've found answers on several places that it's not possible. (due to each lens having a different design, so it's not that simple to calculate it).

I'm interested to find out the magnifications ratios of some, mostly CZJ lenses. It's easy to google and find out this detail about almost any AF lens, but it's hard to find info on mag. ratios of old, manual lenses.

I know one can find out by taking a shot of a ruler on the closest focus and comparing the size with the size of the sensor, but that's not really helpful when you don't have the lens to try it...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is standard trigonometry? 50 mm lens produces 46 degrees angle of view and the if you take half of it you get a triangle that has the shorter .. Question Shocked Exclamation Question Shocked

Ok, I forgot all school geometry, but it shouldn't be too hard. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends... on how far from the object you are. If you shoot with 50mm lens from 30mm you get magnification. If you shoot with 135mm lens from 30 meters, you geting reduction of the object.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
It depends... on how far from the object you are. If you shoot with 50mm lens from 30mm you get magnification. If you shoot with 135mm lens from 30 meters, you geting reduction of the object.

I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about the maximum magnification of a lens (which is always at the closest focus distance).

btw. I read somewhere that for telephoto lenses it's approximately closest_focal_distance / focal_length, but I'm curious why would that formula be true only for longer FL lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google "calculate lens magnification"

get: Calculating the magnification of optical systems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is not possible to calculate the magnification of camera lens just by the MFD and focal length since every lens have different optical design.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I think it is not possible to calculate the magnification of camera lens just by the MFD and focal length since every lens have different optical design.

That's exactly what I read, but I wanted someone to confirm it. thx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this link:
http://www.mystd.de/album/calculator/magnification.html