Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiyas and other standard lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Mamiyas and other standard lenses compared Reply with quote

Camera used Sony A7R2

Lenses in this test:
Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8
Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/2
Fujinon 55/1.8
Mamiya EF 50/1.4
Mamiya EF 50/1.7
Mamiya SX 55/1.8
Minolta Rokkor-PG MC 58/1.2
SMC Pentax 50/1.4
Super Takumar 55/1.8
Yashica ML 50/1.4

First the fast lenses wide open:
Overzicht1214 by devoscasper, on Flickr
And the 100% crops:
CROP1214 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Rokkor, being the fastest (and longest focal length) lens, does the best job of eliminating the background. On the 100% crops, the Rokkor is the softest wide open, but OK this is f/1.2. The other three lenses quite similar; I think the Mamiya EF 50/1.4 has the best contrast.

Then, f/1.7& f/1.8 lenses wide open:
Overzicht1718 by devoscasper, on Flickr
The Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8 has cooler colors than the other lenses.
100% crops:
CROPS1718 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Sharpest of these lenses wide open: the Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8 and Mamiya EF 50/1.7, the latter showing most contrast.

Comparison @ f/2:
Overzicht2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
CROPS2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
The Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8 has the coolest colors. It's also noticeably cooler than the Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/2. It seems these two lenses are different; or they use different glass?
Best sharpness from the Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8 and Mamiya EF 50/1.7. The difference in contrast between these two, became much smaller at this aperture.

Comparison @ f/2.8:
Vergelijk28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
100% crops:
CROPS28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
In terms of detail/contrast the Mamiya lenses do all pretty good, as well as the SMC Pentax 50/1.4 and Yashica ML 50/1.4.

Comparison @ f/4:
Vergelijk4 by devoscasper, on Flickr
100% crops:
CROPS4 by devoscasper, on Flickr
It seems the Auto Mamiya/Sekor shows some more unsharpness now, possibly caused by the wind. Clearest image IMO: Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/2, Mamiya EF 50/1.7, Mamiya SX 55/1.7 and SMC Pentax 50/1.4.

Comparison @ f/5.6:
vergelijk56 by devoscasper, on Flickr
CROPS56 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Detail resolution very good from all lenses. Best sharpness/clearness/contrast the Mamiya 50/1.7 IMO.

Real world relevance is debatable, but IMO the Mamiya EF 50/1.7 is the winner of this test. At f/1.7 it's still fast enough for nice subject isolation, and it's quite sharp and contrasty at any aperture.
A while ago I did another standard lens comparison, containing a lot of other lenses, and the Mamiya EF 50/1.7 was the winner there as well. Kind of an unknown lens to many I guess, but just a very good performer.
I was also pleasantly surprised by the performance Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50/1.8, although I would make the colors a bit warmer in PP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the revuenon Ef 1.4 versión, Wich might be the same as mamiya. Is a very light and sharp lens, posible the first center crop of 1.4 might be focused a little bit closer than other lenses , as the two black dots in the left side are more visible . It's not easy to do all these tests in real world , but in this case ,they are all capable lenses. Another important issue would be the cost of the adapter and the availability for each one of us, not last the price and quality . Mamiya maybe is the lightest one because it's got more plastic than the others.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've got the revuenon Ef 1.4 versión, Wich might be the same as mamiya. Is a very light and sharp lens, posible the first center crop of 1.4 might be focused a little bit closer than other lenses , as the two black dots in the left side are more visible . It's not easy to do all these tests in real world , but in this case ,they are all capable lenses. Another important issue would be the cost of the adapter and the availability for each one of us, not last the price and quality . Mamiya maybe is the lightest one because it's got more plastic than the others.

Yeah probably the same lens. I have the Revuenon version of the Mamiya E 28/2.8.
The Mamiya EF 50/1.4 is probably my favorite fast standard lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent review.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble.
It is appreciated
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
An excellent review.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble.
It is appreciated
Tom

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thanks for the comparison Like Dog

EF series looks really good

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
A big thanks for the comparison Like Dog

EF series looks really good

Yeah, the E / EF's are interesting lenses. And you can build a nice compact set from them for example E 28/2.8, EF 50/1.7, E 135/3.5, all good performers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like the Pentax colours best. It looks warmer than the rest, but when I took white balance of the back of the chair that was among the cooler ones.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I think I like the Pentax colours best. It looks warmer than the rest, but when I took white balance of the back of the chair that was among the cooler ones.

Interesting finding. I checked that, and you're right. When I check with the color pipet on the wooden fence door though, the Pentax has the highest red to blue ratio by quite a margin. The chair is actually light blue. I suspect that the high contrast Pentax, despite having warmer colors, still lets through more of the actual color (blue) than some lower contrast lenses which have a less saturated reproduction.