Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sx lens auto diaphragm pin modification and adapting.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Mamiya Sx lens auto diaphragm pin modification and adapting. Reply with quote

I have done this a few times now and thought I should share it here. The auto diaphragm pin mod. is very popular and I am sure most of you are familiar with it.
The Sx lenses have an additional problem , that is the aperture ring has a rim that rises higher than the plate of the mount, which hampers the free movement of the aperture ring, and there is also the loss of the ability to focus to infinity. My apologies for any typos.

This was done on the Auto mamiya/sekor sx 105mm f2.8.

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed May 04, 2011 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work and nice tutorial. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, well done!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice account. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic.

I'm having trouble unscrewing that aperture status pin with tweezers/needle nose pliers. Anyone have some tips on getting that pin out?

Best,

Isham

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer,Katastrofo,sichko, & IRR_DC: Thanks a lot .

Isham ,it would be nice to see some pictures with your newly adapted lens.

Update:He was able to get the pin out with persistence. Smile. He was able to pull it out unscrewing it clockwise. These pins are not threaded and some require a little persuasion and persistence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with unscrewing the aperture pin. Could you tell me if it is clockwise or counterclockwise?
I suppose I'll try "persistence", but right now the pin is winning me in that... xD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quique_fs wrote:
I'm having trouble with unscrewing the aperture pin. Could you tell me if it is clockwise or counterclockwise?
I suppose I'll try "persistence", but right now the pin is winning me in that... xD

I went over this exact same problem with someone before-and his was anticlockwise. Mine was clockwise. Which makes me believe the pin is not threaded in. Its either glued or put in there when hot?.

The thing to do is to put some isopropyl alcohol or similar solvent over the pin-a dab, not much. Grab the pin firmly -with a pair of tongs ,or any thing that has grip on it- then wiggle it slowly , turning clockwise and then anticlockwise-until it comes out.

Hope it works for you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much por your answer. I also think that the pin is inserted by pressure instead of screwed.

I'll try the isopropyl alcohol, because the pin is firmly stuck and I can't get it out. I'll tell you if I have success Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quique_fs wrote:
Thank you very much por your answer. I also think that the pin is inserted by pressure instead of screwed.

I'll try the isopropyl alcohol, because the pin is firmly stuck and I can't get it out. I'll tell you if I have success Wink

Cool, sounds good -also may try hair dryer at warm setting with back cap of lens closed -of course you don't want to melt anything. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to report that I got a Pixco M42 to Fuji FX adapter on ebay and it is smaller in diameter than the Rainbow Imaging ones. Therefore, it clears the outer lip of the SX lenses and seats firmly without having to file down either the adapter or the lip on the lens. With this adapter, there is also no need to surgically remove, depress, or glue down the auto diaphragm pin with it. However, the pressure fit aperture pin still must be removed which is doable with some patience and a pair of tweezers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought it best to post in this informative thread on the Mamiya SX lenses.

I need some help!
Been aware that the SX line of lenses had required extensive modification to be used on other M42 based camera bodies and older adapters. So, I avoided them.
But their positive reputation, plus the idea that this line was made in-house by Mamiya and not by Tomioka as previous 35mm format lenses, had fueled my LBA and resistance was futile.
Smile

Opportunity reared itself for a pair of SX lenses, a 50 f/2, and 135 f/2.8. The 50 was dirt cheap, but the 135 cost me 200%+ what I could have paid a year ago. (Yes, foolish of me!)

Back to the problem....

I have an adapter now designed for clearing the lip of the SX aperture ring. Plus, it's flanged to depress the auto aperture pin. My only mod was to remove the stainless steel pin from the ring.
But before I could even try them on the camera, I noticed something that didn't appear correct.
Depressing the auto pin by hand, didn't operate the blades. Held down, turning the ring to either end also didn't operate the blades. Both lenses are wide open. Both lenses don't show signs they were modded, and are in pristine condition, albeit stiff focus rings due to age.

I've owned Yashicas, Tomiokas, S-M-C Takumars, and understand the pin's operation. But these two SX's don't seem to want to work.
Am I missing something unique to these that I overlooked?
I find it too coincidental that both lenses aren't operating.

Thanks in advance for any insight and exprerience you can share.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Instead of creating a new thread, I thought it best to post in this informative thread on the Mamiya SX lenses.

I need some help!
Been aware that the SX line of lenses had required extensive modification to be used on other M42 based camera bodies and older adapters. So, I avoided them.
But their positive reputation, plus the idea that this line was made in-house by Mamiya and not by Tomioka as previous 35mm format lenses, had fueled my LBA and resistance was futile.
Smile

Opportunity reared itself for a pair of SX lenses, a 50 f/2, and 135 f/2.8. The 50 was dirt cheap, but the 135 cost me 200%+ what I could have paid a year ago. (Yes, foolish of me!)

Back to the problem....

I have an adapter now designed for clearing the lip of the SX aperture ring. Plus, it's flanged to depress the auto aperture pin. My only mod was to remove the stainless steel pin from the ring.
But before I could even try them on the camera, I noticed something that didn't appear correct.
Depressing the auto pin by hand, didn't operate the blades. Held down, turning the ring to either end also didn't operate the blades. Both lenses are wide open. Both lenses don't show signs they were modded, and are in pristine condition, albeit stiff focus rings due to age.

I've owned Yashicas, Tomiokas, S-M-C Takumars, and understand the pin's operation. But these two SX's don't seem to want to work.
Am I missing something unique to these that I overlooked?
I find it too coincidental that both lenses aren't operating.

Thanks in advance for any insight and exprerience you can share.

Don't know if you got the answer, but recently I got an SX 35mm, and an SX 135mm, both of which are stuck open. There is a screw hole drilled beside the auto aperture pin. The SX 50mm lens that comes with those two lenses are fine, operating like normal M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

I need some help!

This is a bit outdated piece of info.

It is indeed a bit of problem to fit SX onto DSLR, but any M42-to-Sony E adapter I know of clears the lip of protruding aperture ring.
The aperture ring position transmission pin is simply glued in, it will come out with the help of pliers and some brute force.
All is left is to lock aperture stop down pin, like with any other M42 lens. Either find an adapter with a lip, or disassemble and lock it into the stop-down position.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

Back to the problem....

I know it's an old post, but just for the posterity, WNG555 did nothing wrong. His lenses should've worked.

SX is a distinctive design, not exactly a copy-paste solution from some other M42 lens I've seen.
Might have thrown off someone. I found it to be very straightforward, just different.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
WNG555 wrote:

I need some help!

This is a bit outdated piece of info.

It is indeed a bit of problem to fit SX onto DSLR, but any M42-to-Sony E adapter I know of clears the lip of protruding aperture ring.
The aperture ring position transmission pin is simply glued in, it will come out with the help of pliers and some brute force.

Brute force is the Ukrainian way - I prefer the Swiss way: no brute force, but skillful modification Laugh 1 Laugh 1

Instead of modifying (=destroying) the beautiful Mamiya lenses with brute force and/or glue, I decided to modify the M42 adapter.
Left: Unmodified adapter
Right: Modified adapter - about 1.5mm of the black lip were milled off with a precision lathe; now the typical aperture ring pin of the SX lenses doesn't interfere any more with the M42 adapter.

In addition the two ends of the adapter (Sony E and M42) were precisely adjusted; they hadn't been completely parallel. About 100 um were milled off the M42 side of the adapter; now I can focus slightly beyond infinity which helps for testing prime lenses. Of course that's not ideal for zoom lenses or floating focusing lenses, but honestly I don't own many interesting M42 zooms, and no floating focusing M42 lenses at all!

Working with my Mamiya SX lenses (including the rare and much sought after SX 1.7/85mm) now is a joy. And all the lenses themselves remain "untouched" Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Brute force is the Ukrainian way - I prefer the Swiss way: no brute force, but skillful modification Laugh 1 Laugh 1

I've used a tool to remove a removable part.
I think calling this destruction is an overstatement.
Pretty sure using tools for their intended purposes is not limited to any historical or political borders.

Congrats on the lathe though. Very useful for making custom adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using this helicoid adapter Click here to see on Ebay. It works with Fujinon M42 lenses and it should works with Mamiya lenses too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I am using this helicoid adapter Click here to see on Ebay. It works with Fujinon M42 lenses and it should works with Mamiya lenses too.

For pracical purposes - especially close focusing - that's probably a good solution. However for testing / comparing lenses i fear the focusing helicoid may introduce another uncertainty. The original, unmodified adapter shown above was pretty much non-parallel, i. e. Sony E bayonet and M42 mount were not aligned properly (roughly 100 um). Now, after the modification, the two mounts are parallel within the accuracy of the available measuring equipment (i. e. <10 um).

BTW I didn't get a lathe myself (even though I sonetimes think of buying one); I simply have specialized precision mechanics around the corner, and they can make the things I need.

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I've used a tool to remove a removable part.
I think calling this destruction is an overstatement.
Pretty sure using tools for their intended purposes is not limited to any historical or political borders.

NEVER pay attention tro my taunts Wink ... I like to sneer at things (and sometimes at people) - if we can't laugh any more, then we have a cruel (and boring) world indeed !! And of course I don't mind at all if others make their jokes about me Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

For pracical purposes - especially close focusing - that's probably a good solution. However for testing / comparing lenses i fear the focusing helicoid may introduce another uncertainty. The original, unmodified adapter shown above was pretty much non-parallel, i. e. Sony E bayonet and M42 mount were not aligned properly (roughly 100 um). Now, after the modification, the two mounts are parallel within the accuracy of the available measuring equipment (i. e. <10 um).

BTW I didn't get a lathe myself (even though I sonetimes think of buying one); I simply have specialized precision mechanics around the corner, and they can make the things I need.

S

Good to hear you fixed the unevenness of adapter. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, is that pin really necessary if I'd use the 135 SX version on Sony e M42 adapter? Or could I remove it? I am having hard time putting back the aperture ring on the 135mm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that pin really necessary if I would use the Sony e M42 adapter ? Or i could just leave it outside?