Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor E 28/2.8 vs SMC Pentax 28/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor E 28/2.8 vs SMC Pentax 28/3.5 Reply with quote

Test at infinity. First an overview image:
VeldP8DSC00302 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The the 100% crops, center and far corner:
VeldComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusion: center performance very good of both lenses at any tested aperture. At f/3.5, the corner sharpness is much better from the Pentax. At smaller apertures, the Pentax remains superior in this regard. Also CA's seem better corrected at all apertures. At f/11, the Pentax is really excellent up into the far corners. More tests are coming.

Last edited by caspert79 on Wed May 04, 2022 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera did you use, full frame I take it?

Also, what adapter did you use for the Mamiya?

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Some more tests:

First, direct sunlight.
DirecteZonComparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Mamiya holds up better than I expected. The contrast loss seems to affect a larger circle of the image around the sun when compared to the Pentax, but still, not bad at all IMO.

Next picture with direct sunlight (just outside of frame). Aperture f/8.
DirectSunlight by devoscasper, on Flickr

Both lenses do good. When you look at the bricks on the right, the Pentax shows more contrast. Color temperature differs, but this can be corrected in PP.

Close focus test. Distance to subject 30cm. Aperture f/3.5. First Mamiya:
BloemM35DSC00313 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then Pentax:
BloemP35DSC00312 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Both lenses show plenty of detail when focused close. Bokeh of the Mamiya looks less busy to me. +1 for Mamiya.

A bokeh test:
ComparisonBokeh by devoscasper, on Flickr

Bokeh looks quite pleasing to me from both lenses. Mamiya offers slightly more isolation because of wider aperture. Pentax image is more 'poppy': more color saturation, more contrast.

Last image @f/8 including crops:

ComparisonKanaal by devoscasper, on Flickr

The crops of the Pentax look better to me (less flat image, more contrast, more saturation).

Final conclusion:
- I think the Mamiya E 28/2.8 shows solid performance. In most circumstances however, I think the Pentax is the stonger lens. So it remains my favorite classic 28mm. The Mamiya however offers slightly better bokeh, is faster, and much lighter than the Pentax. Interesting detail: the Mamiya seems to be fully made of metal, so no plastics like other lenses of the E(F) series.

Last edited by caspert79 on Wed May 04, 2022 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
What camera did you use, full frame I take it?

Also, what adapter did you use for the Mamiya?

Thanks for sharing.

Camera: Sony A7RII. Mamiya adapter is Fotodiox Pro.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax is probably one of the most contrasty lenses. Even Leica shooters use it. (I have a PK to LM adapter that came with my first copy to prove that, sadly it had haze that blew out corners so I had to get another one.)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Pentax is probably one of the most contrasty lenses. Even Leica shooters use it.

Assuming you believe in such stuff the sample images I have seen from the Pentax are more in line with how Leica lenses render.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison and more or less expected results for the Pentax lens, which is very usable even wide open. Still, I guess the biggest benefit is that flare resistance and (subjective matter, but still) nice colour rendering. Olympus 28mm F3.5 is even sharper, just can't compare in terms of flare resistance. I'm not sure any lens can, not within that budget.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ,nice review , there's a 28mm 3.5 mamiya also, but not much info about it, did you ever used it before ? That's gotta be the k version of the Pentax I assume , one of the best vintage 28mm . Have you used a hood on these lenses for the test? Just curious how using it affect the final results

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t used the Mamiya 28/3.5. It’s only a 5 element lens though, whereas the 2.8 is 8 elements in 7 groups.

I used (non original) hoods, except in the direct sunlight test.