Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

My later SX 1.8/55mm (SN >200'000) clearly is the best of the bunch, including lenses such as the Sekor E 1.7/50mm and Sekor E 2/50mm.
The Sekor E 1.7/50mm is slightly better than the Sekor E 2/50mm, and about comparable to my early Sekor SX 1.8/55mm (which may be an
outlier or simply damaged even though there are no outer signs).

We have to be aware that going from 55mm to 50mm is quite a challenge for double gauss SLR (!) lenses. It's not by chance that the
Asahi Super Takumar 1.4/50mm is so much worse compared to the contemporary Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm. You can find a lot of information
about these problems when reading the corresponding Nikkor Tales, written by some of the best Nikon lens designers.

In addition the later Sekor E and EF series clearly were in the low price segment. I remember well that in the early 1980s a set of Mamiya ZE
with 3.5/28mm, 1.7/50mm and 3.5/135mm was sold here in Switzerland for the same price as the Minolta X-300 body. And Minolta was the
cheapest of the three "big ones", of course.

S

Thank you Stephan. Older magazine tests confirmed this more or less. No need to get the 50mm 1.7 then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Mamiya-Sekor 55mm/1.8 covers the Fuji GFX sensor really well. Some samples:

Summer pastimes by Artem, on Flickr

Afternoon shadows by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
BTW, Mamiya-Sekor 55mm/1.8 covers the Fuji GFX sensor really well. Some samples:

Afternoon shadows by Artem, on Flickr

The bokeh in that first pic is out of control! I have that same lens and I don't recall the bokeh being that busy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:

The bokeh in that first pic is out of control! I have that same lens and I don't recall the bokeh being that busy!

Well, the bokeh is busy because the background is. When it is not, the bokeh follows.

Timothy by Artem, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two shots with the SX on a a7.

I've only used it once to test it. This needs to change!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arutemu wrote:
BTW, Mamiya-Sekor 55mm/1.8 covers the Fuji GFX sensor really well.

Pretty impressive - I wouldn't have expected that! Thanks for sharing images and information.

S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Arutemu wrote:
BTW, Mamiya-Sekor 55mm/1.8 covers the Fuji GFX sensor really well.

Pretty impressive - I wouldn't have expected that! Thanks for sharing images and information.

I agree. That's interesting information. I see very little vignetting in the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

I must have the same one
Flare Friday by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mr_tibbs2004"]
Arutemu wrote:

Sure, although most of the background is also behind double pane glass I guess.
On vignetting on that larger sensor; the images are focused nearby, wonder what it does at infinity.

Not that the lens has a nice bokeh, in my book it is preferably used at tighter stops.
First images when I had the SX converted to EF mount.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4335836

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D1N0"]
blotafton wrote:

I must have the same one

Haha love it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
stevemark wrote:

My later SX 1.8/55mm (SN >200'000) clearly is the best of the bunch, including lenses such as the Sekor E 1.7/50mm and Sekor E 2/50mm.
The Sekor E 1.7/50mm is slightly better than the Sekor E 2/50mm, and about comparable to my early Sekor SX 1.8/55mm (which may be an
outlier or simply damaged even though there are no outer signs).

We have to be aware that going from 55mm to 50mm is quite a challenge for double gauss SLR (!) lenses. It's not by chance that the
Asahi Super Takumar 1.4/50mm is so much worse compared to the contemporary Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm. You can find a lot of information
about these problems when reading the corresponding Nikkor Tales, written by some of the best Nikon lens designers.

In addition the later Sekor E and EF series clearly were in the low price segment. I remember well that in the early 1980s a set of Mamiya ZE
with 3.5/28mm, 1.7/50mm and 3.5/135mm was sold here in Switzerland for the same price as the Minolta X-300 body. And Minolta was the
cheapest of the three "big ones", of course.

S

Thank you Stephan. Older magazine tests confirmed this more or less. No need to get the 50mm 1.7 then.

I did some (very limited) tests with a bunch of standard lenses, including several Mamiya's (50 and 55mm). What I can say is that the center resolution of the E 50/1.7 and contrast are among the best, if not the best.

Didn't test corners, CA's etc. though. But as this lens is usually dirt cheap it doesn't hurt to give it a try. It has also pretty nice bokeh imo. However, I don’t like how the E series lenses handle direct light sources (bad coatings). They will never be my preferred lenses for landscapes for this reason.

Here are 2 wide open images:

https://flic.kr/p/2kiK7bz

https://www.flickr.com/gp/55691955@N05/90qi15