Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro wide with a fisheye lens, Canon FD 7.5mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Macro wide with a fisheye lens, Canon FD 7.5mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

I went out and tried my Canon 7.5/5.6 FD fisheye as a macro lens. I used an FD to M39 adapter, an M39 to M42 ring and an M42 to Sony E helicoid on my Sony A7. This way the lens can be focussed, it doesn't have a focussing mechanism of its own. The friendly bee almost touches the bulbous front lens:

This way of getting a wide angle macro image is easier than the indirect method with a relay lens. You get no flipped viewfinder image but the large front lens does create problems with shading your subject and not being able to get in real close as easily.

This test was intended as a comparison to Klaus's Fuji 2.7mm f/1.8 fisheye lens but he wants separate threads for the different lenses. Looking forward to his macro wide angle images.

Last edited by dickb on Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fully correct Dick, it wasn't the right place. Now you have one...

Nice shot btw. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give an indication of the maximum magnification you can get with fisheye lenses for macro, two more images of the Canon 7.5mm FD, wide open and at f/16, buttercup touching the front lens:

Another fisheye, the Samyang 8mm f/3.5, I forced into macro mode by mcgyvering an EF to Sony E adapter slightly longer than the regular adapter (Novoflex Eos-retro, 58mm distance ring, 58mm reverse ring for Sony E). Obviously it wasn't intended for full frame use. At f/3.5 and f/11, subject touching the front lens:

And finally a lens with an even shorter focal length, a Yashinon 6.5mm f/1.4 D mount lens. At f/8, with a Schneider Cinegon 8mm f/1.4 (2.0) as a relay lens. This results in a nice and compact setup, but it may be improved upon. Certainly the Yashinon being taped onto an extension ring doesn't guarantee a perfectly parallel setup. Still, it gives you an idea about maximal magnification and how much of the background you can see this way: