Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro photography with a zoom plus a close-up lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gerald.
This one was a surprise -- the Leitz Elpro 3 (+1.66) combined with a Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5 pre-set lens.
Better than expected; but a spell of sunshine did allow the lens to be closed down to between f11 and f16.
Image is cropped and reduced to half-size.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 ... Sony 75-300 (SAL75300) at 100mm ... with "Novoflex Video Macro Lens" added, which as far as I know is +3.3 diopter.
Lens has to be used with auto-focus off, since it tries to focus on the leaf rather than the insect (in this case, a hawthorn shield bug).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Norland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Sony A57 ... Sony 75-300 (SAL75300) at 100mm ... with "Novoflex Video Macro Lens" added, which as far as I know is +3.3 diopter.
Lens has to be used with auto-focus off, since it tries to focus on the leaf rather than the insect (in this case, a hawthorn shield bug).

Norland, you have really mastered the use of close-up lenses! Every picture you post is a little better than the previous one. The composition is interesting, the overall sharpness is excellent and the focus is spot on. The only suggestion I could make is to use a flash diffuser to eliminate shadows and specular reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
The only suggestion I could make is to use a flash diffuser to eliminate shadows and specular reflections.

There was no flash (though reflections are so bright I had to check EXIF to be certain) -- that's just sunlight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. The shadow of the insect indicates that the light source was punctual, but was very off-axis, ie, it was the sun, not the flash, responsible for the shadows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an Elpro VIIb which I bought on eBay for a very reasonable price. Very Happy
I'm not a Leica collector; actually I do not collect any brand. My interest in the Elpro VIIb is that it is an achromatic close-up lens of only +0.75 diopters. Atlhoug Elpros are very common on eBay, close-up lenses with less than +1 diopter are relatively rare. The most common close-up lenses are those between +2 and +4 diopters.

The Elpro VIIb will be useful to reduce the minimum focus distance of 135mm lenses from 1.5m to about 70cm. The thread of Elpro VIIb is the not so common series VII, but as I also bought a 55-54mm step-down adapter ring, the Elpro VIIb may be used with my other lenses, including the APO Sigma 400mm F5.6. Leica also made the Elpro 4, which has the same optic of the VIIb, but with thread of 55mm. Elpro 4 is considerably more expensive than the VIIb. Sad

Speaking of price of achromatic close-up lenses, Leica sells the Elpro-S for the APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 ASPH CS, the "ultimate telephoto" (Leica's words) for the Leica-S system. The Elmar-S 180mm alone can focus down to 1.5m. With the help of the Elpro-S, the minimum focus distance is reduced to 1.1m. This relativey small reduction in MFD of 0.4m costs $1250, which is the price of Elpro-S at BHPhotoVideo. The Leica APO-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 ASPH CS costs $8495.00, so I am sure Leica thinks the Elpro-S is a bargain. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 this time using a Minolta AF 35-105mm in manual mode and fitted with a Minolta "close-up lens No.1" (+2 diopter)

The spider ignored the flying ant.
So it went away and (inset, below) looked at another spider, close up.
And then came back to the first one....

No flying ants got eaten in the making of this sequence -- or afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A57 ... Minolta AF 35-105mm in manual mode ... AL-4 close-up lens (+4 diopter) by LZOS / KMZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictures of spiders, especially the first. A little scary, it is true, but it seems that the flying ant was not too worried:
- Do not mess with me. I am a very bad ant! Very Happy