Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro photography - First attempt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Macro photography - First attempt Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

this is the first time I intentionally go to a park with a purpose of taking macro photography.
I take my D70 with Tokina SZ-X 105 lens 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 with macro ratio 1:5

Love the red color

Shiny stuff

With much patience before it took off again

The lens has been found idle for almost 14 years before it goes back to life when I got the D70 body.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice for a first try! I took some butterflies pictures a few years ago using ultra-zoom camera, so I know, how difficult it can be Smile

I'd only recommend a bit brighter exposure for more vividness.

Looking forward to see your future macro shots!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward more , #2 is my favorite! For insects try flash..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X and Attila,

looking at all the photos taken during that day, it seems like I am still weak in selecting correct exposure.

thanks for your comments and advice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did recommend flash not only because these are dark, flash make an extra bright surface if you handle well it can be even better than correct exposure only.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I'd only recommend a bit brighter exposure for more vividness.

The D70 tends to underexpose so highlights are not burned out. Before the days of in camera processing of shadowed areas in the more current bodies (Adaptive D Lighting), this was Nikon's solution. This is pretty typical of exposure by the D70. I always had to fiddle with them in Photoshop. The image was all there, but you had to play with it to get an interesting photo, not so drab and dark.

To avoid this, use exposure compensation +1 or to taste, and risk blowing some highlights, or use slight macro fill flash. I don't like the harsh look of some flash pics, so I said slight and fill. Just a dab will do ya.