Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro lenses a very subjective comparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Macro lenses a very subjective comparation Reply with quote

I have (had) following macro lenses:
- Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro 1:1
- Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 macro 1:2 (Tokina) Not tested yet.
- Kiron 90mm f2.8 macro 1:1
- Nikor 105mm f2.8 AIS Macro 1:2
- Industar 61/LZ 50mm f2.8 macro 1:2
- Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 Non-AI macro 1:1
- Vivitar Macro converter (Kiron) make a pretty good macro lens from 50mm lens.
- reverse mounted Pancolar (number one !)

I not talk about "macro" zoom lenses i have many of them, but they are truly not macro lenses even if macro ratio is close to 1:2

Both are great lens you won't be disappointed any of them.

I keep these lenses.

Kiron 105mm f2.8 because rare and one of the best , ultra sharp and it has macro 1:1 ratio.

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 Macro 1:1 very cheap no reason to sell for this low price , quality good as Kiron I love it pretty much.

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Unbelievable quality and Nikkor I have special feel about Nikkor lenses.

Vivitar converter I keep because truly excellent and it can make extra magnification on my 1:1 lenses.

I sold or I will sell others , they are equal level than others what I keep, reason why I sell them don't need many of them and they not provide macro 1:1 without extension.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest copy of Nikkor 55mm f3.5 took 1:1 with any extension later when AI mount came out they changed to 1:2 the macro ratio.

Nikkor 105mm 2.8 AIS vs Kiron 105mm f2.8 ?

Nikkor can't do itself macro 1:1, perhaps less heavy and perhaps easier to focusing I don't know. I don't remember any focusing trouble with Kiron.Sure at the end at macro 1:1 range is not easy to focusing this is normal in my opinion. Kiron perform better as general purpose tele lens and no quality difference if you use for macro lens them. If I have to sell one of them I will sell Nikkor , because more easier to get again than Kiron. I have a few never selling lens in my collection one of them is Kiron 105mm f2.8.