Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 wideangle?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: M42 wideangle? Reply with quote

Hello eb

I just wanted to know and understand better, with your precious help.
which lens could be suitable for a aps-c dslr camera that match my idea of ladscapes.
I explain the issue: I have a vivitar 28mm that should be a grandangle with a FX or a 35mm but with the crop factor became a 44 mm and lose the sense of wide angle, useful for landscape
Given that I have a ef-18-55 and don't want to use that crap lense for shooting landscapes,and don't want to spend 500 euro for a af wa canon,(like 10-22 for ex.) anybody suggest me a good wide angle m42 lens to adapt o n my camera ?
I prefer a range not exceeding the 20 mm o r around that

thanks all! Smile

paolo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 3.5/17 M42 - made by Tokina

Click here to see on Ebay

I have this one

Click here to see on Ebay

with the Tokina RMC label which looks similar. It's good if not great. If you do a search you should be able to find some samples.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best solution is to use wide on film
border and vignetting will be much better
digital sensor see only straight ray light and need expensive telecentric lens to render acceptable border
example a jena 20:4 is perfect on negative and pita on digital

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18-55 is fine for landscapes where you're usually shooting f/8 or smaller apertures. It's issues become evident when it is wide open, but at f/8 it's a fine lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this helps i have the zeiss jena flek 20/4 and is a very fine lens a bit expensive but is a very good lens . i did not do a proper test but i have taken some shots with the efs canon 17-55/2.8 and @f8 i like the zeiss better more detail. and if you want to go AF go for the tokina 11-66/2.8 very nice lens and it cost's less the the canon 10-22

all the best
Catalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cheap options with m42 mounts unfortunately. I use the Sigma 17-70 which is much better than the kit lens. My M42 lenses start at 24mm for that reason.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99
arhi_tectu1
dave-t
poilu
sichko

Thanks for all precious infos, reallly
Thanks for the ebay link. I appreciated. I will give aglance and think a bout it!
I went 2day in 3 photograhy shops in my town and all told me thesame :they had some 50 mm( a pentax e.g.), a 135 mm mamyia a 135 mm pentacon, but NO availability of wideangle m42: they 're very difficult to find out.

Anyone knows how are this lens?
mamyia 134
pentax 50 m42
pentacon 135 mm?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mybike wrote:
martinsmith99
arhi_tectu1
poilu
sichko

Thanks for all precious infos, reallly
I went 2day in 3 photograhy shops in my town and all told me thesame :they had some 50 mm( a pentax e.g.), a 135 mm mamyia a 135 mm pentacon, but NO availability of wideangle m42: they 're very difficult to find out.

Anyone knows how are this lens?
mamyia 134
pentax 50 m42
pentacon 135 mm?

thanks

I know Pentacon and Pentax both are great lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
The 18-55 is fine for landscapes where you're usually shooting f/8 or smaller apertures. It's issues become evident when it is wide open, but at f/8 it's a fine lens.

Thanks a lot , it's common for this lens to lose resolution a t 5.6
i think i havet to search the bay to spot something nice.

thanks Attila for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo Poilu's suggestion to use film for those occasions where you need an ultra-wide, a suggestion that has, I think, the added advantage that you can cast your net wider than just those lenses that will adapt to the register of your primary digital camera body, since a film body to match is likely to cost not much more than an adapter.

The 20mm Flek is a fine lens, though for the prices it's fetching these days, I think there are better options. The Yashica 21mm ML, for example, has a definite edge over it.

I'm not sure there's much call for an AF facility as wide as 20mm, since such a lens is going to have everything in focus from infinity to the back of your head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alex you too.
I already have a Fujica st 605 n. With this camera, the wide angle 28 mm vivitar Komine gave me a lot of sactifasfaction
Unfortunately, on my canon become a 44 mm..
anyway, i still might use it on the fujica..of course. It'a good idea!
bye Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be blasphemy on the forums, but I use the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on my 40D for wider applications (I've started to find the 10-17 range almost *too* wide). I'm definitely very happy with this lens and it has a fairly good reputation as well. It might be worth looking into for you, it will definitely be an upgrade over the kit lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dave thx again

i will take your' suggestions and look around to check tamron prices and reviews, i think it can fit my needs

paolo Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
This may be blasphemy on the forums, but I use the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on my 40D for wider applications (I've started to find the 10-17 range almost *too* wide). I'm definitely very happy with this lens and it has a fairly good reputation as well. It might be worth looking into for you, it will definitely be an upgrade over the kit lens.

You are not the only one who uses AF zooms to "go wide". It's easier than converting to film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mybike - which country are you in?

I have a Meyer/Pentacon that I would sell if your interested. Shipping will be the costly part.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: The widest M42 lens available is... Reply with quote

Probably my Sigma 14mm f3.5 Very Happy
OK, I cheated...I bought an FD mount version on ebay for about £85 and converted it to M42 mount. Wink
I also have the Tokina 17mm f3.5 which is a better lens than the Sigma but it only cost me £10!