Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Fujinon Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: M42 Fujinon Questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

After several decades of using M42 glass, I recently had my first hands-on experience with M42 Fujinon lenses. That experience has left me with a few questions, and I'm hoping the experts here might be able to enlighten me.

I am the new owner of an EBC 28mm 3.5 and a 55mm Fujinon 1.8; the 55 seems to be identical in most respects to the EBC version, but it is not so marked. It has the little locking notch on the mount, as well as the protruding lug on the aperture ring.

Unfortunately, this lens will not stop down, no matter how the aperture pin and aperture ring are manipulated. There is lively spring pressure on the aperture pin. Has anyone encountered this fault among Fujinons, or do you suppose someone might have performed some sort of surgery on this specimen?

Also with regard to this lens: I was very happy to find Arkku's instructions for converting a Fujinon lens to manual operation (thank you, Arkku!), because he carefully explained the procedure for removing the aperture ring; I thought I might be able to get inside the lens to see what the stop-down problem might be. Then I read further, and learned that the 55 1.8 is an exception to the "normal" disassembly procedure. I was wondering - has anyone made any progress with respect to disassembling this particular lens?

Finally, a general question. I dimly recall, from years ago, an admonition not to try to use EBC lenses on non-Fujica bodies. I assume this has to do with the aperture-ring lug. Based on a quick eyeball evaluation, it looks like that little lug would be very likely to drop itself into one of the slots in my M42->K adapter and lodge there. What is the recommended procedure for dealing with that problem - careful grinding off of the lug? And are there any other possible incompatibilities I should be aware of?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I'm afraid i cannot help too much with your Fujinons ...
The only M42 Fujinon lens i have is a 55/1.8, which is an "auto" only lens. But, instead of modding it, i have preferred to buy an M42-to-P/K adapter with an inner flange to keep the diaphragm pin pushed ...
It is a bit more expensive solution than the one with the cotton swab, but i didn't have to open the lens (moreover, i have never find a tutorial on how to service this lens), and the adapter works like a charm with my auto Biotar too Wink ...

If interested, i bought it from Alex (hk300 on this forum), but i think Attila too sells them ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. As it happens, I have one of Alex's flanged adapters, and I've been very pleased with it. I plan to use it, in fact, with the 28mm EBC Fujinon, once I grind off the problematic aperture-ring lug.

As for the 55mm, I suppose it's destined to be a wide-open-only lens, unless I can {a} figure out how to open it up and {b} repair it once I do. I really do think someone may have deliberately disabled the aperture mechanism - for some reason I can't begin to guess.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a shot of the 55/1.8 fuji mount as I have one which does not have the notch,I am wondering has it been modified?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Happy to oblige - I'll post a photo this weekend.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be impossible to easily fix Fujinons because the mechanism is slightly different. Can't check it anymore because sold my Fujinons.

Here is a diagram for checking what type it is.
EDIT: Helios means 44M here
EDIT 2: OK, I usually read these messages before answering. I had EBC 55/1.8 and it opened from the front, not rear ..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for the very helpful replies. And profound apologies for returning to this thread later than I had intended.

The attached photos - quick snaps on a crowded desk, and imperfectly focused - hopefully show the mount and overall design of the 55 1.8 Fujinon about which I inquired originally.

The first photo shows the mount, with the little lug protruding from the aperture ring highlighted. Since the lug is perfectly placed to lodge irretrievably in the slots of my M42->PK adapter, I expect that I will be using a Dremel to remove it. Not visible in this shot is the little cut-out for the locking catch.

Photos 2 and 3 are intended to show the construction and styling of the lens. To my eye, this lens looks identical to the EBC Fujinon series - except for the fact that the "EBC" designation is missing from the beauty ring.

I had always associated the problematic aperture-ring lug with the EBC lenses, but that is clearly incorrect. Does anyone happen to know: is it the case that the new styling (and aperture lug) preceded the introduction of the EBC series, or is it the case that some early EBC lenses did not receive the "EBC" designation? (I'm wondering, in other words, whether this might be a parallel to the introduction of the SMC coating, prior to the formal adoption of the SMC nomenclature, on some of the late Super-Takumars.)

Anyway - unless I can figure out and correct this particular example's aperture problem, it is destined to be a wide-open-only lens.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparison here is my Fujinon 1:1.8/55
No lug and no evidence of one being removed,the iris only closes when I push the pin in.