Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Loxia 21mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Loxia 21mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Well I am really going to be in trouble on this one!
I spotted an auction on e-bay. Searched the sold listings and made a reasonable bid. Ended up getting the thing. I am hoping to get some top quality images of the upcoming eclipse and everything I read said this was the glass to get. Pricey though. Hope it doesn't come in the post while my wife is home! Got the a7ii back today so I hope to get a chance to try the Topcon macro I was on about last week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Loxia 21mm 2.8 Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Well I am really going to be in trouble on this one!
I spotted an auction on e-bay. Searched the sold listings and made a reasonable bid. Ended up getting the thing. I am hoping to get some top quality images of the upcoming eclipse and everything I read said this was the glass to get. Pricey though. Hope it doesn't come in the post while my wife is home! Got the a7ii back today so I hope to get a chance to try the Topcon macro I was on about last week.

Hahaha - murphy's law - of course she will be home when it arrives.
Yep, I can see maybe an expensive night out with dinner (and a show at least) in your future.
Have fun with the new lens
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, looking forward to seeing some results (also from that Topcor macro)!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any images to share, or opinions on this lens? I've been considering it as a very wide option for my A7r.
Thanks,
L.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, the Loxia 2.8/21mm is the best superwide for the Sony E-mount system - period.

I have used and tested lots of superwides on high res cameras (including Canons 11-24mm L, TS-E 17mm L and the very good 2.8/16-35mm III L, Nikkor 2.8/14-24mm, Zeiss ZA 2.8/16-35mm, ZE 4/16-35mm, Batis 2.8/18mm and many others), but the Loxia has cleary the best corner resolution.

In addition, the Loxia allows precise manual focusing, and it is quite small. Don't be confused by the official Zeiss MTF which suggest the Batis 2.8/18mm to be equal - i had two samples of the Batis, one was inferior and the other one clearly inferior to the Loxia (tested on 43MP A7RII).

If you PM me you e-Mail, i can give a link to raw data at f2.8 or f5.6, using the A7RII.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent - many thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also chose a wide-angle lens. Wanted Loxia 21mm but the price is too high for me. Bought Tokina 20mm f2 Firin. I'm happy , though my copy is a bit "soap" on the right side. In the web space that is not visible (or almost).

Tokina 20mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting a deal for the Loxia, arguably the best UWA made.
Nice shots with the FiRIN, I was impressed by the build, solid little thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
At the moment, the Loxia 2.8/21mm is the best superwide for the Sony E-mount system - period.

I have to correct myself, since i've never shot with the Tokina Firin. Since the Firin is one step faster than the Zeiss Loxia (that's a lot of additional diffulties for the optical engineer in the f=20mm range!!), and cheaper too, i assume that the Loxia might be better. But i remain to be corrected if someone does a careful comparison, of course.

Sorry about forgetting the Firin!

Stephan