Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lost leader
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Lost leader Reply with quote

Stupid me, I was taking out a half-used roll of Sensia to put in another camera and I managed to rewind the leader right inside the canister. First time ever! Evil or Very Mad

I want to use up the whole film as the processing is prepaid, so before I go buying one of those extraction tools, I wondered if anyone has a favourite tip for getting the leader back out again?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those extraction tools actually works Wink I haven't managed to get the leader back out and I tried with a flat spatula/butter knife sort of thing. A generic purpose built tool did the job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lost leader Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Stupid me, I was taking out a half-used roll of Sensia to put in another camera and I managed to rewind the leader right inside the canister. First time ever! Evil or Very Mad

I want to use up the whole film as the processing is prepaid, so before I go buying one of those extraction tools, I wondered if anyone has a favourite tip for getting the leader back out again?

Well I would like know as well, tried all home stuff lying around but with no luck so went back to the old way of taking the top off the cassette in a changing bag.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi peter
Try the solutions in this post,nearer the end.
http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-darkroom/1336/How-to-retrieve-35mm-leader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me more than once, and I am several times asked to resque a film for my sister. So I bought a Sonia Filmpicker and I don't mind anymore. But I have seen a way to work with a piece of junk film that worked good too. Don't remember me the link at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks simple:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voxdvu7Loj8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tool. I bought it from Speed Graphic.

If you don't want to buy one, you can either post me the film or I can post you the gadget. There is a knack to it though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some very useful information here, thanks everyone. I'm going to pop into the local lab (where they know me!Smile) tomorrow and ask them if they can help. Failing that I'll try the second film idea, isn't that clever? Then if all else fails, Martin, I'll PM you. thankyou very much for the offer.

Like the chap in mo's link to the photokb forum, I don't really want to buy the tool. It's not the cost, it's the pain of admitting there's a chance I might ever do this again in the future!

The fact is, I've never ever done it before. I can usually tell by listening and by feel when the leader comes off the take-up spool. But I know how it happened this time - I was unloading the Pentax P30n, which has a very clever way of automatically locking the new film onto the take-up spool, and this makes it almost impossible to detect when the film is free when you;re rewinding. The leader of an exposed film stays in perfect shape, not kinked, and there's a real danger of thinking it's unexposed and using the same film twice. Not done that yet though! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few cameras which auto rewind for me so it's been worth the investment. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it! Very Happy

I didn't get a chance to go to the lab yesterday (Fuji lab in the local Morrisons) so I tried the 2nd film idea. It took several tries. It would seem more logical to slide the 2nd film in between the lost leader and the remainder of the film, so that the leader is on the outside and should just slide out of the slot. But I couldn't get that to work. In the end I wound the cartridge spindle on so that the end of lost leader is just before the slot. Then the 2nd film goes between the leader and the cartridge casing. Winding the spindle the other way applies pressure on the two films which gently fuses them together, and then with a bit of careful jiggling the leader came out. The end was a bit crunched-up but I cut that off and the film is now loaded again.

Thanks again for the advice and to Martin for your offer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I played with all the suggestions (inc two bits of paper) and got a few successes only with Dymo tape. Also I think it helps if the problem has just occurred as the more I wound the film around, sticky tape, licking etc it seemed to get harder to get the tongue out, so the chance to get experience was limited.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the thread title I thought "oh no, not another US bashing" but
this about photography, cool. Laughing

Peter, I feel your pain. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the metal one, it works great but have someone show you how.
Jules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - for me this brought to mind the old '70s Warner Bros LP sleeves, the ones where they sold their Loss Leaders compilation LPs.

(I wonder: did anyone ever actually order one? Now I wish I had)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Get the metal one, it works great but have someone show you how.
Jules

Thanks Jules but, you know, I can tell you with absolute certainty that this will never ever happen again, NEVER! Wink