Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Loose Plastic Insert in Metal Lens Caps?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Loose Plastic Insert in Metal Lens Caps? Reply with quote

I've noticed that on my Soligor 28mm, the plastic friction piece on the inside lip of the metal lens cap likes to slide around. Once it slips down, it no longer holds onto the lens as well as it does when it is up at the edge of the cap.

For example, here is what it looks like when it is in the correct place:

... and here is what it looks like when it slips down:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this piece of plastic stay in place? It doesn't appear to have had any adhesives from the factory, and it is not loose enough to come out of the lens cap... it just gets pushed down into the lens cap enough to not work as well.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several Soligor caps some have that and it is covered in what looks like felt, I think you have to glue some felt onto that plastic and it is what holds the cap in place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I have several Soligor caps some have that and it is covered in what looks like felt, I think you have to glue some felt onto that plastic and it is what holds the cap in place.

Hmm.. This one isn't quite like that. The plastic alone actually holds the lens quite well, I have zero concerns of the cap coming off when the plastic bit is in the correct place. It is only after a few times taking it on and off that the plastic piece gets pushed down and no longer holds onto the lens as well as it should.

I would think that I could glue the plastic piece in place, but I can't find any signs of glue being there originally...

On yours, is the felt glued directly to the metal?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have 4 that have felt directly glued to the metal in various stages of wear.I have 1 that has the plastic moving part that also has the little raised spacers and moves freely in the rim of the cap.Looks like a 55mm cap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... so yours pretty much has the same design & same problem as mine then...

Do the felt ones seem older or newer?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest they look the same as in same style writing,I don't keep my caps on the lenses I take them off and leave them off Rolling Eyes I would think possibly the plastic insert is the original design and the felt is the fix?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original cap on my 135mm Soligor and it has the plastic insert and fits nice and tight on the lens, but not so tight when I have the metal lens hood screwed on in reverse. But it's enough to keep it in place.