Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Less chance of fungus if you use your lens a lot?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Less chance of fungus if you use your lens a lot? Reply with quote

I still haven't find a good container for my lenses. Some here have recommend using sterilite container but I don't see the point if it's not air tight. Fungus need humidity and darkness right? Houston is dry and hot most the time and if I use my lens a lot or leave it in the light then I'll be protected from fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box two Long lenses. Explore 352. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

Box one small lenses. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

I love these boxes by "The Really Useful Box Company" I've got a lot of them now in two different sizes. The larger box, shown in these pictures, can be bought with the removable dividers that can make two layers - that's 32 small lenses in one box, or use one divider and store 16 longer lenses - 70cm long will just fit, a Tair 300 is too big !
I use boxes with dividers for flash units, filters, extension tubes and converters, and without dividers for bellows, focusing rails, tools and spares.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

( they sell in UK USA Germany Ireland France Italy Belgium Netherlands Spain Sweden Switzerland )

The boxes are strong, they advertise them with a car parked on four of them, and I use them to sit and stand on all the time. They are not airtight so there's always circulation and less condensation. I get none. Personally I would not use airtight boxes because moisture will be trapped when the lid is secured, my view is to get a dehumidifier and use it close to the storage boxes, and back up with silica gel bags in the boxes that you can dry out as needed.
The lids lock on securely with the handles, and they are opaque enough to allow light into the box.
I really can't recommend these high enough, I bought a lot of storage boxes before these and none were anywhere near as good. They are expensive when you compare them to the plastic boxes you see in the discount shops and Poundshop. But you get what you pay for.