Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Lens suggestion Reply with quote

Yesterday evening my finger slipped over a button in an Ebay auction and, hem, soon I'll own a E-P1 Smile .

I already ordered an EOS to m4/3 adapter to reuse my current collection of lenses, however do you have any suggestions for a compact lens sufficiently wide to be used for general purpose (24,28, up to 35mm)?
Alternatively, even if not so wide, a fancy lens nice to see in front of it Smile

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 24mm consider:
Nikon 24mm f2.8 (not very compact though)
Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f2.8 (this is compact)
Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f2.8 ( a cheaper alternative, size between Nikon and Zuiko)

For 28mm, try the Olympus Zuiko OM 28mm f2.8, which is compact and a stellar performer.

For 35mm, consider the MIR 24-N 35mm f2. Whilst this is not especially compact, it is fast and very good wide open.

A point to note is that all 35mm SLR lenses will be a lot less compact than might at first be thought when the size of the adapter is factored in. (Consider rangefinder or Olympus Pen-F lenses for true compactness).

If you want a truly compact m4/3 lens, you should consider the Panasonic pancake lenses (14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7).

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, actually I have some M42 lenses, and I imagine the adapter will add about 25mm length (behind a Industar 50/3.5 could also be reasonable... but too tele). Before this new acquisition I never took into account size (In those size I have a noname 24/2.8, a Tamron 28/2.5, a Yashica 35/2.Cool.
In fact I was trying to understand whether there are lenses I could consider that before I never considered due to registration distance (on the cheap side).
I saw there is an Industar M39 that unfortunately has some infinity focus issue, Pentax 110 and Oly Pen, and rangefinder wideangles but the latter seem in general expensive, if available. I saw also a mad Olympus 15/8...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the e-p1 Smile it's a classic camera - metal body and good ergonomic.

I see you already have some lenses to try and EOS adapter makes sense - i have it too.
I have tried the Pentax A110 lenses - they are tiny and nice. Well they are always on f2.8 but are good already on this aperture.
the feel and pictures are not that impressive - more like on toy side.

if you need small and nice lenses you may consider rangefinder lenses. There are some cheap 50mm Russian ones in L39 - like collapsible Industar-22 3.5/50mm and Jupiter-8 2/50mm - but wider than 50mm can be quite expensive.

Voigtlander have few moderately priced lenses in M mount ($400-500 range) and available new - Color-Skopars: 2.5/35mm 4/25mm, 21/4mm and Super-Wide Heliar 4.5/15mm.

Also you may consider Contax G Zeiss primes ( Planar 2/35mm or Biogon 2.8/28mm) which are outstanding and top quality both optically and mechanically. The drawback is that they require special adapter with focusing ring.

If you want AF lens - the Panasonic 14mm lens is very compact similar to size as the 2.8/17mm m Zuiko but better corrected.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If AF lens, +1 for the Panasonic 14mm f2.5.

I like it very much on the Pen E-P2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for suggestions. I should say I bought this body, for relatively few money, only to tinker with lenses I cannot use on Canon, while remaining on the cheap side... which is unfortunately not easy if looking for RF wideangles Sad

By the way, while waiting for the adapter, in a rainy Easter I dismantled a disposable camera and recycled its lens in front of my Oly Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming late , sorry.
For something cheap and good , I recommend the Sigma 19mm 2,8. It is very sharp and have nice colours.
You can use MF easily compared to the pancakes.
I use mainly AF zooms with my Panas but when I want prime lenses ,I take this sigma and a 50mm from my legacy lenses.