Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Lubrication
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Lens Lubrication Reply with quote

Okay, now that I can undo & reassemble my Biotar, I was wondering what suitable lubricants I can use on its focus ring.

I've used some lighter fluid and a drop of oil to moisten the black gunk that was once grease and everything is moving freely but now I need a permanent repair. Are there any house hold lubricants that will work? I was thinking of vaseline or spray grease that's found in auto stores.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have read somewhere that the olive oil seems not so bad as a lubricant for lenses, but, FRANKLY, don't know if the poster was just joking ...

Anyway, i use some lithium grease, although it seems that the grease based on disulphite molybdenum is the best one ...

As an alternative, i think you could try some gun oil or sewing machine oil ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a spray white lithium grease. Spray it into a separate container. Mix it for a while letting the carrier evaporate out. After this I would still let it sit for a day or so. Spread it over the helicoids with a small paint brush (people tend to use fingers - though this is a grease you don't want in the lens, anywhere, and the brush offers a bit more control) Once they are evenly coated, once again, let the separate parts sit for a little while then reattach the helicoid. Work it back and forth a few times, and it should be smooth as butter.

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For helicoids, you need damping grease. If you don't maintain friendly relations to some precision metal workshop which might give you a dollop from its can, that is going to be a bit expensive if it is a one-time expense for one lens - the last time I bought some, the 10g tubes (enough for some 200 lenses) at Microtools were around 15€, and I've heard grumblings that they raised their price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithium grease it is then - thanks!