Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica IIIa shutter dial inquiry
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Leica IIIa shutter dial inquiry Reply with quote

I just received a Leica IIIa need some assistance.
The model serial # is in line with the Leica IIIa however, the top shutter speed dial does not look like any other IIIa dials in as much as it has a pin protruding from the top (between the 100 and 200) as though it was supposed to inter-lock with a light meter for example.

The dial also has a a recess that show the shutter speeds. This means that the dial has knurling that is twice the thickness.

Can anyone shed light on this. has the dial been swapped out from a later model.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, aa nice looking original Leica! Your shutter dial seems to have an additional flash contact from the past: there is no sync contact but releasing the shutter lets the dial turn around. In this action the little knop did relase a mechanic to activate flash.
Look for Geiss contact e.g.,in the net. There were some other similar solutions for screw mount Leicas from that long ago times. Did You get additional parts to Your camera perhaps?

Last edited by duckrider on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply duckrider.

So just to clarify as there were no additional parts that came with the camera.

In looking online with the hints you gave me, I was able to find something called a Geiss Flash Kontakt. It is a two part contraption that had a pc socket attached to a cold shoe and a disc with a pin that attaches to the shutter speed dial.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GEISS-KONTAKT-Synchronizer-Conversion-for-LEICA-IIIA-Leitz-NOS-/351381037311?hash=item51cff120ff

The shutter speed dial on all other IIIa's is flat, mine has a pin already attached to the dial. Would you know if my shutter speed dial is original to this IIIa?, or is it possible that it was a factory upgrade/modification to allow for such a mechanism as the Geiss Flash Kontakt?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far I can see. It's only an additional ring screwed onto the dial. Perhaps open the small screws and try to get the ring off. Do this only with wound up shutter and maention how the dial position is actually when lifting off.
As a German I have to apologise for linked name I gave to You above. We have an ultratasteless soap with an ultraultratasteless family with the same name, first search results gave links to those €#%&@?$√|£π÷÷persons, sorry for that!
A coupled light meter would not work on screwmount Leicas, because the dial turns when shutter is released, this as additional idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius !!
You were right, the knurled ring was attached to the original flat ring with the two small screws. It looked so complete that I assumed it was part of the dial.
Mystery solved.
Thanks so much for your time
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteen1314 wrote:
Genius !!
You were right...

Wishing for the day my wife would say this to me Wink

Btw.: Your IIIa is from 1938:
http://www.leicapages.org/

Looks like it is in excellent condition!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wouldn't life be grand if that was always the case.

The camera is in great shape overall, and while the only issue is some cracking of the vulcanite, it is still tight to the body.

All shutter speeds are appropriate and the viewfinder clear and accurate. I plan on using it as with all the other cameras. This one however will be getting a case as it is just too clean to get it scratched. Obviously its been looked after for the last 77 years so I don't want to be the one to mess it up.

Have a great day

Martin