Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Elmarit-R 135/2.8 and Nikon 180/2.8 ED on Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Leica Elmarit-R 135/2.8 and Nikon 180/2.8 ED on Sony A7 Reply with quote

Today I was airing my leasing-dog on the beach and tested a few lenses on my new A7 Smile

Elmarit-R is an awesome potrait lens. Sharp wide open, ultra smooth bokeh, rich colors. About in par with C/Y Zeiss Sonnar T* 135/2.8 except that the Elmarit has even more creamy bokeh, more natural colors, slightly closer focusing abbilities and unfortunately less good CA control.
A few samples (it's noted under the pics) were also made with Nikon 180/2.8 ED - should be known - one of the best 180mm on the market. Very sharp already wide open, very creamy bokeh. Great or even better potrait lens aswell. One of my favourite lenses and a keeper for sure!

Due dull light and a fast dog (I used sports mode) in many pics most shots are made with very high ISOs (up to 5000) and lenses were used almost exclusivly wide open. Next time in such dull light I will use S-mode instead of sports mode as 1/640s is actually enough these long teles and fast dogs in most cases and the sports camera automatic is slightly overdoing the job here with 1/2000s, causing the high ISO.
Pics have no PP and are straight JPEGs with internal camera noise reduction set to "low". Only on a few I added very slight sharpening in Lightroom (+10~+15). I used focus peaking instead of magnified live view because it was easier with gloves Wink

Like many other cameras Sony A7 produces uneven exposure with very short shutter times (faster than 1/1000s) when half-electronical shutter is actived.

*made with the Nikon

*made with the Nikon

*overexposed but note creamy bokeh of the Elmarit

*made with the Nikon; only shot with low ISO as shot in landscape mode; btw. that are not birds, that are kit surfers in background. High res: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/11384560773/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:49 pm; edited 18 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see the exposure and fringing problems. but when you nail it the detail and color is extraordinary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots Smile nice lenses.
what is your opinion on the A7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arhi_tectu1 wrote:
nice shots Smile nice lenses.
what is your opinion on the A7

Thanks!
The A7 is a huge improvement for me, coming from NEX-C3 Smile A7 is a great camera. Especially with tele lenses it makes much more fun. Of course there's space for improvements but hey, it's quite cheap compared to other digital FF bodies and due E-Mount compatible with virtually any lens out there.
IQ is good but IQ of A7r is better. I paid only 1200€ (25% discound for students Smile) for my A7 while A7r would have cost 2100€ for me.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning combo!! Congrats, excellent series!!