Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyoei Brochure -- some cool stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Kyoei Brochure -- some cool stuff Reply with quote

I won an auction for a Kyoei Super Acall 135mm f/3.5 LTM lens a while back. What was really cool about this lens was that it came with its original plush-lined box (suitable for display purposes) -- and a brochure, showing all of Kyoei's products.

Kyoei is best known for its LTM lenses, but they also made lenses for Contax/Nikon rangefinders, as well as M42 mount. Here are some photos of the box and lens, followed by some images of the brochure. They built some interesting looking lenses -- most of which I've never seen on the used market. But at least now I know that they exist.

What I found to be most fascinating was the Kyoei brochure that came with the lens.

I like this quote: "Full satisfaction guaranteed in every respect at everywhere in the world."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. I had never even heard of Acall or Kyoei.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lenses. I am drooling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had, and in some cases still have, most of these.
Most not in the Acall brand, they did a lot of rebranding.

Even the 500mm (sold, rather good for its day actually).

The really rare ones I think are the tiny 80mm, the ones for Contax mount, the 105/2.8 (the 3.5 isnt that hard to find as a Petri or Yashinon), the 150mm.

The last second-to-last page is very very interesting, because those 135/3.5 and 135/2.8 lenses are identical to the lens often found in glorious "zebra" style, often labelled in the US as Vemar, or Sankor. This opens up some speculations about the fate of Kyoei.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of these, the most exceptional, I think, leaving aside the 135, and the well known qualities for UV of some, are the 180mm and the 250mm.

Thanks very much for posting this!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great resource Michal - thank you for sharing it
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kyoei Acall 3.5/135 in Exacta mount. That is an outstanding optic, i think it is better than the famous Jupiter 4/135 of which i had tried 3 and kept one in the end.

It should get some more use.....

Small thread about it with a few shots: http://forum.mflenses.com/kyoei-acall-135mm-f-3-5-exakta-mount-t71093,highlight,%2Bkyoei.html

Cheers, René.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the ltm lenses and they are all Komura made as far as I know. Thanks for sharing, I really like these old brochures.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! Great lenses, I have a few of those, thanks to the two well known members Spyros and Luis here Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys like the brochure. I figured it would elicit a positive reaction. I am also pleased to learn that some of you have actually owned a few copies. Taking pics of the brochure was a spur of the moment thing. I should do things right and scan it in for best results.

I was fascinated by one aspect of several of the lenses and that is their weight. Some of them are real heavyweights. The two 500s weigh in at 1.2kg each, which I guess isn't so unusual. But how about that 250mm? Over 1.6kg. Wow. A number of other of the lenses weigh in at about a half kilo. Ah, the good old days when lenses were built from chrome-plated brass and glass . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I should do things right and scan it in for best results.

Yes, you're right Wink

Stephan