Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kowa Prominar 5 inch f2 on a7rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Kowa Prominar 5 inch f2 on a7rii Reply with quote

This project was inspired by the ongoing projection lens adaptation displays by the community.

First the lens and camera:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptation was actually quite easy as the back of the lens had 49mm threads. So 49mm/49mm reverse ring then 49 to 52 step up then 52 mm helical. It focuses to infinity. Close focus is not great. Around 6 feet (2m) or so. I did disassemble the lens and clean it as it had a bit of fungus and was a bit hazy. It is a 4 element lens with a cemented doublet at the front and air gapped back group. Since I had it apart I took the opportunity to line the interior with stick on black felt, as being a projection lens little attention had been paid to maintaining a light absorbtive interior. The very first shot was taken before any work had been done inside the lens. I think the attention improved contrast quite dramatically.

Some shots:

My interior work on the lens does make it vignette a bit. It is soft and even softer in the corners. Chromatic aberration can be problematic. Fantastic bokeh. Probably would be an excellent portrait lens (I am terrible at portraits).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real pretty colors in #5 !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is a beaut Like 1 . Some shots just hit you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the portrait of the cat!
Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I say not too bad considering its an action shot close in with a very thin DOF I missed the eye focus by about a half an inch (front focused). My wife loves that shot. Kiko is 7 months now and is just always moving...or asleep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this lens very intriguing and am impressed with its sharpness even wide open. It appears to me to be a tessar design. The groups are about 4 inches from each other. I was considering adding an aperture. If I were to do that where is the best place for that? It has 2 dramatically different size barrels with a step down very near the center between the groups. Would the step down be a good spot for that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a portrait of the cat presented itself. He was lounging on the (unmade) bed with the sun filtered through high clouds shining on him through the window.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, worth the effort.