Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly Reply with quote

Hello! I am very glad to join this community!

I have this lens for quite a time, it was plagued with fungus all around.

I started the disassembly to clean it as good as I can. I did not find any guide online but it has been easy until now.

I am now stuck with this:

http://www.kwyjibo.es/static/Screenshot_2024-03-24_135751.jpg

Do you think I can unscrew the top part?

Here are some more pictures:

http://www.kwyjibo.es/static/Screenshot_2024-03-24_135838.jpg

http://www.kwyjibo.es/static/Screenshot_2024-03-24_135856.jpg

Edit: Sorry, it seems there is some issue with the images or that I do not know how to post links. I will fix it as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly Reply with quote

SuperRey wrote:
Hello! I am very glad to join this community!

I have this lens for quite a time, it was plagued with fungus all around.

I started the disassembly to clean it as good as I can. I did not find any guide online but it has been easy until now.

I am now stuck with this:

Do you think I can unscrew the top part?

Here are some more pictures:

Edit: Sorry, it seems there is some issue with the images or that I do not know how to post links. I will fix it as soon as I can.

Welcome SuperRey -- links & photos not allowed first post. Should be OK now. (Also I added image tags to your post)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome SuperRey!

I am not familiar with this particular lens but based on other similar fish-eye lenses I would say that yes, you can unscrew that ring.

But it may be stuck and may have been fixed in place with threadlock.

The factory likely would have used a custom tool to hold that ring and fasten it without danger of damaging the front element; you may need a rubber removal tool or improvise something yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome SuperRey -- links & photos not allowed first post. Should be OK now. (Also I added image tags to your post)

Thanks visualopsins! I was not aware of that, I should read the forum rules more carefully!

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Welcome SuperRey!

I am not familiar with this particular lens but based on other similar fish-eye lenses I would say that yes, you can unscrew that ring.

The factory likely would have used a custom tool to hold that ring and fasten it without danger of damaging the front element; you may need a rubber removal tool or improvise something yourself.

With a threadlock do you mean a screw perhaps? I see none but I will look closely again. Maybe it just glued together.

I have a rubber tool and I tried to unscrew but I did not get it. I will try again.

Thanks!

Last edited by SuperRey on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly Reply with quote

SuperRey wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks visualopsins! I was not aware of that, I should read the forum rules more carefully!

[quote=RokkorDoctor]Welcome SuperRey!

With a threadlock do you mean a screw perhaps? I see none but I will look closely again. Maybe it just glued together.

I have a rubber tool and I tried to unscrew but I did not get it. I will try again.

Thanks!

No threadlock is something akin to an adhesive, although I don't really think it is an adhesive. It is a liquid applied to threads that when dried prevents the threads from coming undone. There are different brands and some need different solvents.

Some soften when isopropyl alcohol is applied, others need something like acetone. Working with these solvents near the edges of lens elements takes experience and is not without risk; some lens blacking and lens cements can be damaged, as well as plastic components generally are not resistant to acetone and may get damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica UC Fish-eye HEXANON AR 15mm F2.8 - Dissasembly Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

No threadlock is something akin to an adhesive, although I don't really think it is an adhesive. It is a liquid applied to threads that when dried prevents the threads from coming undone. There are different brands and some need different solvents.

Some soften when isopropyl alcohol is applied, others need something like acetone. Working with these solvents near the edges of lens elements takes experience and is not without risk; some lens blacking and lens cements can be damaged, as well as plastic components generally are not resistant to acetone and may get damaged.

Thanks! I will update with any advance.

Smile

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say from these pics. Is the housing metal or plastic. If it's metal, yes, the front likely scresw off. If plastic, the part may be molded in, which would require you to remove it with a scalpel and prying tools, which is much less fun.

If the white dots are what you are worried about, it appears to be Schneideritis (flaking of the backing paint) rather than fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Hard to say from these pics. Is the housing metal or plastic. If it's metal, yes, the front likely scresw off. If plastic, the part may be molded in, which would require you to remove it with a scalpel and prying tools, which is much less fun.

If the white dots are what you are worried about, it appears to be Schneideritis (flaking of the backing paint) rather than fungus.

Thanks!

Yes, I was able to unscreew it with a rubber tool. It is indeed a metal housing.

Thanks for the headup about the Schneideritis, I was not familiar with the term. The lens itself has some typical fungus that I plan to remove with peroxide. Do you think it is advisable to "repair" the Schneideritis?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repair: “Shneideritis” & Edge Separation
https://richardhaw.com/2016/11/12/repair-shneideritis-edge-separation/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am progressing with the paint removing. I am concerned however with these bright spots:

Maybe these imperfections are related with the "Shneideritis"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Repair: “Shneideritis” & Edge Separation
https://richardhaw.com/2016/11/12/repair-shneideritis-edge-separation/

Wow, I would NOT follow what the guy in this link did and sand off edge paint! Way too easy to get stray grit on optical surfaces and ruin them! Typically, this paint can be easily removed with a quick wipe of acetone. Given the age of this lens, it almost certainly has the optics cemented with an adhesive that the acetone won't harm. Even regular Canada Balsam would be fine if you just wiped rather than submerged. , The front element on this lens, where most of the Schneideritis appears to be isn't even a doublet, so no cement even involved there.

SuperRey wrote:
I am progressing with the paint removing. I am concerned however with these bright spots:

Did you scrape/sand like visualopsin's link describes? If so, you might have gouged the ground glass edge. It's probably not a huge deal, as it will be blacked in anyway and shouldn't really affect imaging. If you removed the paint through non-mechanical means, then it could be contributing to the Schneideritis, but usually it's just caused by aging of the paint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Good catch. Watch the grit.

Good point about taking care not to damage the side/optical surface.

What about solvent leaking between lens surface and its coating? Have you seen that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metallic salt coatings used on lenses of this age are extremely resistant to solvent, and the acetone won't harm them.

visualopsins wrote:
Like 1 Good catch. Watch the grit.

Good point about taking care not to damage the side/optical surface.

What about solvent leaking between lens surface and its coating? Have you seen that?