Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon Lenses for m4/3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon Lenses for m4/3 Reply with quote

I picked up two Hexanon lenses and a m4/3 adaper in the last couple of days for my Panasonic GH2.

The first lens was a f4/200mm, which has received mediocre reviews here and elsewhere. But the price was under $40 and it is immacualte - still has a shinny 'CJII Passed' sticker on it. My initial reaction was that it lived down to its reputation but this afternoon I took some shots of the St. Francis Xavier cathederal in Nashua and perhaps I need to rethink its abilities. The church is about a half a mile away.

Tripod mounted, f11, 1/320, ISO400

100% of cross

Then, waiting in the mail was a f1.8/40 Hexanon. I got a few shots off just before sunset. This looks promishing; sharp and fast.

40mm f4, 1/200, ISO800

100% of focused area

And it has a nice bokeh.

f1.8 1/100 ISO800

All shots were taken in RAW with only a minimum of changes in the settings from as they opened in Photoshop.

I noted that the adapter (Rainbow Imaging) does focus way past infinity with the 40mm. I hadn't checked with the 200mm. My M42 adapter focuses a little past infinity. Am I to take it that this is normal for these devices?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another Konica fan here, at least I hope you are too. Sometimes lens make past infinity, sometime adapter no universal receipt , pretty normal.

Here is mine pictures with Hexanons.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 40mm f1.8 pancake. I didn't used it much, but here are two photos. This lens has a nice vintage render, is very small, and fits perfectly on a m4/3 body. worth the 40euros i spent on it

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice to see other Konica users here. These lenses are on the same level - sometimes maybe better - like all other well known brands.

Perhaps you know this web site for more information regarding Konica.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaUebersicht.html

Welcome to the club !

Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Konica Lenses Reply with quote

Nice shots, Rimmason!

I never thought of myself as a "Konica" guy. I remember well the decision to buy a Pentax and not a K1000 (do I have that right? - 1971!) I never quite regretted that decision, but the Konica did have better metering and a bayonnet mount. Also, I have been shooting a Konica-Minolta Dimage A2 for the past five years. So I guess there is some Konica in my past.

The prices I paid for these two lenes are almost embarrasing. Under $40 for the 200mm, which is absolutely like new, and $25 for the 1.8 pancake. That lens was advertised as having a couple of small flaws on the front lens so it did not fetch a good price. It does have the flaws, but they are tiny and would never impact image quality. Now if I could find a 3.5/300 for $40. That would be something!

I'm going to try and set up a comparison of my Takumar 50mm, the Konica 40mm and the Panasonic 14-140 at 45mm to see how they compare. That could be useful.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Konica Reply with quote

My first slr!

The Hexar SLR lenses are poorer quality, but the Hexanon ones are capable of rivalling the best. Hexar rangefinder are top quality also! Very cheap except when you are bidding against someone else who knows about them.....

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Konica Lenses Reply with quote

boatman wrote:
Nice shots, Rimmason!

I never thought of myself as a "Konica" guy. I remember well the decision to buy a Pentax and not a K1000 (do I have that right? - 1971!) I never quite regretted that decision, but the Konica did have better metering and a bayonnet mount. Also, I have been shooting a Konica-Minolta Dimage A2 for the past five years. So I guess there is some Konica in my past.

The prices I paid for these two lenes are almost embarrasing. Under $40 for the 200mm, which is absolutely like new, and $25 for the 1.8 pancake. That lens was advertised as having a couple of small flaws on the front lens so it did not fetch a good price. It does have the flaws, but they are tiny and would never impact image quality. Now if I could find a 3.5/300 for $40. That would be something!

I'm going to try and set up a comparison of my Takumar 50mm, the Konica 40mm and the Panasonic 14-140 at 45mm to see how they compare. That could be useful.

This guy sums it up in that the Hexanon 40mm is soft wide open but sharp stopped down:-
http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2007_09_29.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm .. i was just looking at a Hexanon 40mm 1.8, cheap but with signs of fungus

looks like a good and interesting lens, just not this copy

fast, light weight and very sharp, hmm

theres also a 28 and a 100mm 2.8 ..

i like the 40, build quality appears good

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got three Konica Hexanons. The 28mm f3.5 and 40mm f1.8 I had with my old Konica Autoreflex T3. They came out of retirement when I got my M4/3 Olympus Pen E-PM1 earlier this year. The first adaptor I got was Konica Ar to M4/3. I've also recently got a 50mm f1.7.

I've not used the 28mm much but the 40mm is great and very easy to handle. It is soft at f1.8 but gets much better after that:

Caught in the light by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

I bought the 50mm f1.7 after reading several reviews. It's a later one without the click-stops for half aperture values and it seems to be the sharpest of the three.

FredBW by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Hexanon... Reply with quote

i've been spending many hours visiting Wally.
Wally is somewhere between 85-90 years old and still runs (almost single handedly) his (now) vintage camera exchange. He regularly does out of town excursions to shoot landscapes. He does his own printing too. Wally was a professional printer by trade before starting his camera exchange.
So, Hexanon...
Wally told me a story about a good friend of his whom used Hexanons for years and years.
This friend always had a curiosity for the Zeiss' IQ but his wife forbade him going down that road.
Well...these folks were no spring chickens and the wife had passed (natural causes).
After some time Wally's friend made the decision to do a complete switch to Contax/Zeiss and Wally loaded him up with a bunch of top of the line Zeiss/Contax equipment (now i do think this happened some time in the-80s-)
Wally said that his friend was not at all impressed with the new gear's results as an improvement to his old system.
Grass is not always greener I guess.
Speak volumes for Hexanon.
I never did ask if the friend ever did figure out/become satisfied with the new gear's results.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, just pulled trigger on a 40mm f1.8 pancake that i like the look of

also eyeing-with-intent a 100mm 2.8

but its competing for my attention with a Nikkor-H 85mmF1.8 Lens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:

If you want a deal on an amazingly sharp lens, get the 135/3.2. It's generally cheap and one of the best Hexanons IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
etorix wrote:

If you want a deal on an amazingly sharp lens, get the 135/3.2. It's generally cheap and one of the best Hexanons IMO.

gah, 135, sorry, but no, i have too many 135s as it is .. [hmm .. unless its really cheap]

100mm or less

im bidding on a nice Nikkor 85 1.8 metal-jacket .. if that fails i could get a frontally-damaged 105mm 2.5 Nikkor [i just got some Sennelier Indian ink]

Last edited by etorix on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and heh .. hexanon has a few 135s too .. 3.5,4, 2.5 and yes , 3.2

i can see a good-looking KONICA HEXANON AR 135mm F2.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, actually i think the

Konica Hexanon AR 55mm f3,5 Macro http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e55_35.html
and its extension tube, and the

Konica Hexanon AR 100mm f/2.8 http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e100_28.html

are currently the ones most interesting and useful, for me, if i get along with the 40mm http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

It started out so innocently. I had a fresh, new Sony NEX-3N. I had picked up a pair of legacy lenses and an adapter and was having a lot of fun with them so I decided to buy a pancake lens, something small and light to compliment the camera. I ended up with a Konica 40mm and was quickly hooked. Now my Konica collection consists of:

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5
Konica Hexanon 35mm f2.8
Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8
Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F1.7
Konica Hexanon AR 52mm F1.8
Konica Macro Hexanon 55mm f3.5
Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4
Konica Hexanon AR 85mm F1.8
Konica Hexanon AR 100mm 1:2.8
Konica Tele-Hexanon AR 135mm f3.2
Konica Tele-Hexanon AR 135mm f3.5

Most are at least very good, some are awesome and a couple are so-so. Still the whole collection has cost me less than a single Sony Zeiss or FE lens. They work well with the A6000 and the A7.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAH .. wow

so, how is the 55mm Macro?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Macro 55mm Reply with quote

I got the macro 55mm in a deal I just couldn't turn down. It came with the lens, extension tube (for 1:1) a 135mm f3.2, about a half dozen Konica filters and an extra pair of metal screw on front lens caps, all of it in mint condition, for $169.00 US.

I'm not very experienced in macro photography so I think this review will answer the question better than I can.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e55_35.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

newst wrote:
It started out so innocently. I had a fresh, new Sony NEX-3N. I had picked up a pair of legacy lenses and an adapter and was having a lot of fun with them so I decided to buy a pancake lens, something small and light to compliment the camera. I ended up with a Konica 40mm and was quickly hooked. Now my Konica collection consists of:

Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5
Konica Hexanon 35mm f2.8
Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8
Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F1.7
Konica Hexanon AR 52mm F1.8
Konica Macro Hexanon 55mm f3.5
Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4
Konica Hexanon AR 85mm F1.8
Konica Hexanon AR 100mm 1:2.8
Konica Tele-Hexanon AR 135mm f3.2
Konica Tele-Hexanon AR 135mm f3.5

Most are at least very good, some are awesome and a couple are so-so. Still the whole collection has cost me less than a single Sony Zeiss or FE lens. They work well with the A6000 and the A7.

That is one very enviable collection of Konica Hexanon AR lenses!! I'd be curious to know which of them you view as "so-so". I'll guess the 52/1.8 and the 135/3.5? OK, and maybe the 40?

Take note, though, you still need a copy of the 35/2 and the 135/2.8. And the Hexanon zooms are quite desirable, too! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and maybe the 40?
-- you dont like the 40?

its going to be my first Hexanon, but it aint here yet so i cant argue -- whatever, it even looks like a entry-level piece

but it gets me in the game ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:
Quote:
and maybe the 40?
-- you dont like the 40?

its going to be my first Hexanon, but it aint here yet so i cant argue -- whatever, it even looks like a entry-level piece

but it gets me in the game ...

No, sir. I like the 40 just fine. Heck, I own at least three of 'em, probably four! All were serious purchases, bought with cash money.

Was merely attempting to guess which Hexanon lenses newst considers "so-so". I have seen negative comments about the 40 and I was trying to cover my bases. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats definitely an impressive list of glass..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

That is one very enviable collection of Konica Hexanon AR lenses!! I'd be curious to know which of them you view as "so-so". I'll guess the 52/1.8 and the 135/3.5? OK, and maybe the 40?

Take note, though, you still need a copy of the 35/2 and the 135/2.8. And the Hexanon zooms are quite desirable, too! Smile

I don't want my comment to be too harsh. When I said so-so I was thinking that those lenses (yes the 52/1.8 and 135/3.5) didn't mean they weren't good lenses, just that they didn't stand out against the other lenses in their class. Don't forget that just about everyone produced a good 50mm and 135mm. When comparing the 52/1.8 to the 57/1.4 or a Sonnar 50/1.5 and the 135/3.5 to a Sonnar 135/4.0 or a Pentacon 135/2.8 they come in second, but they are still good in their own right.

The 40/1.8 is a solid lens. It was a Konica 'kit' lens and since Konica wanted to sell cameras they made it a good, fast and generally sharp lens, considering it had to be inexpensive to produce. It's not as tack sharp as the Contax/Zeiss 45mm but it wasn't intended to be.

I've looked into the 35/2 but that single lens would cost half again more than my entire Konica collection and from what I have read the 135/2.8 won't give me performance over the other 135s to justify the cost, size and weight.

I am personally not into zooms. I have a few but almost never use them. I just prefer primes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have
hexanon 35/2.0, 40/1.8, 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/(2.5, 3.2, 3.5), 200/(4.0, 3.5), 300/4.5.
My absolut favourite on M43 i the 135/3.2. It's my most used lens ever. I bought a sonnar 135/2.8 because it was supposed to be king of the 135's but it didn't work. On m43 hexanon is still king. Small, light, sharp, short mfd, colours as good as the sonnar, great contrast....
My other lenses that gets the most use is the 85/1.8 and the 35/2.0. Here is one with the 35 and lumix G1
Kjell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote:
HAH .. wow

so, how is the 55mm Macro?

here you can see samples with it on Olympus E-M5
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-120-konica-hexanon-macro-55mm-3-5-t62306.html