Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 4/70-150 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 4/70-150 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Really good zoom lens, as good as a lot of primes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp with good resolution indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and the light was pretty poor too so it will only do better in better light.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your other post about a Konica zoom I took a Vivitar 80-200 f4 ( constant ) out to try it. It's a lens I've had a long time, had some decent shots from in the past, but rarely use now. And I could see why I rarely use it, the failure rate was high and there was a huge amount of purple / green fringe that had to be processed off. If the shot had purple and green I ended up with B&W!
So a good zoom is something to hang onto, and this one you have seems very good. I like zooms, I love my two Viv' Series 1 zooms and use them a lot because they are convenient at times. I think we're scared off zooms because the bottom end ones were so poor, which is a shame when there are obviously very good ones out there.

Is that the beach ( I use the term loosely Laughing ) at Seascale ? ( We'll be up there in a few weeks. )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots ian!
#1, #6 and the last are my favs...
The beach invites me for a walk Wink

stingOM wrote:

+Good CA control looks even better than the details, especially compared to some lightsabers zooms of the same era
Look @ pic #4...
But I guess it will become visible wide open, right?

Ian, do you have any pics with it on sunny weather?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
After your other post about a Konica zoom I took a Vivitar 80-200 f4 ( constant ) out to try it. It's a lens I've had a long time, had some decent shots from in the past, but rarely use now. And I could see why I rarely use it, the failure rate was high and there was a huge amount of purple / green fringe that had to be processed off. If the shot had purple and green I ended up with B&W!
So a good zoom is something to hang onto, and this one you have seems very good. I like zooms, I love my two Viv' Series 1 zooms and use them a lot because they are convenient at times. I think we're scared off zooms because the bottom end ones were so poor, which is a shame when there are obviously very good ones out there.

Is that the beach ( I use the term loosely Laughing ) at Seascale ? ( We'll be up there in a few weeks. )

I've tried a lot of zooms and most were crap. The good ones were my Viv S1 3.5/70-210 (sold), Soligor 3.5/70-150 (sold) and MC Rolleinar 4/80-200 (listed for sale).

However, the Konica zooms I have completely outclass all others I've tried. The 28-135 is a big beast with 18 elements in 13 groups but it's as good as most primes, very sharp, no CA, great contrast, low distortion, just completely unlike most other zooms. The UC 80-200 is also fabulous, need to try it more in better light. Then there is this one, which I like so much it's going to be in my bag all the time instead of the 135mm prime I have been carrying.

It's just a few miles up the coast from Seascale, if you would like to explore this part of the coast, the train is probably your best bet, the station for Nethertown is right on the beach. The tower you can see in the background in #8 is part of Sellafield.

There are many great photo opportunities near Seascale, it's half an hour drive for me and there are many excellent country pubs too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Very nice shots ian!
#1, #6 and the last are my favs...
The beach invites me for a walk Wink

stingOM wrote:

+Good CA control looks even better than the details, especially compared to some lightsabers zooms of the same era
Look @ pic #4...
But I guess it will become visible wide open, right?

Ian, do you have any pics with it on sunny weather?

Actually, #4 is wide open and I don't see any CA. My UC 80-200 has almost no CA wide open, just the odd pixel of green on the edges of bright highlights (and I had to look to find it so it's negligible).

This is the HDR version of #4:

I haven't had chance to try it in sunny weather but as the sun has just appeared I will do so this afternoon.

I truly doubt there are many zooms better than these Konicas, probably only Vario-Sonnars exceed them in quality and then probably not by much.

It was really dark and misty when I shot this but the Konica 70-150 performed very well indeed, it's at pretty much the same level of IQ as my best 135mm primes - Konica 3.2/135 and Topcon RE 3.5/135 which just amazes me and as the zoom is about the same size, it will make a much more versatile replacement in my bag for a 135 prime. Amazes me I'm replacing a prime with a zoom, never thought that would happen!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a bit of sunshine today so I tried this lens out again and compared it to my Konica UC 80-200.

I think the 70-150 is the better lens, sharper, better contrast, a really superb lens. The UC is very good too, I'm surprised the 70-150 outperforms it.

70-150 @70, f8:

UC 80-200 @80, f8:

70-150 @150, f8:

UC 80-200 @150, f8:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve noticed in many of your seascape type shots that you must have very large tides in your area!
Here in Boston we have a fairly decent tide height because we are closer to the Bay of Fundy

http://bayoffundy.com/about/highest-tides/

Anywhere near the equator would be swallowed up by the tides you are getting. Island groups as the Seychelles
or Maldives would disappear completely with those tides. They do add a real drama to your photos though!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tides here are generally in the 8-10m range, if you want to check it for yourself, google 'Silecroft Beach Cumbria Tides'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, Ian!! This Panorama is one of the best that I ever remember seeing. I'm glad that I have this zoom, also. Wink Thanks for posting all of these, Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I found this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx05EPmimo8

Shocked Wow, thats one hell of a tide you get there! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. This Konica 70-150 is a real gem, so good I am using it instead of a 135 prime.

Funny you should have found that one, Haverigg is about a mile from my house, I have taken some pics of that exact spot, my mother was born about 200m from there.

The person who shot the timelapse was stood on the bridge you can see in the distance of this shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was no accident, its the same blue boat and seawall as an earlier post of yours
I remembered and commented on that one.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=43880

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bruce, what a memory you have! Well spotted indeed, I am mucho impressed!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five shot stitch I did today, didn't come out as good as I hoped, tricky light conditions with bright sun on distant mtns and dull foreground.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more light on fields work to me better

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, do you remember the aperture setting and focal length on the last stitch shot? I like it, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one was at f8, 150mm setting.