Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 24mm f2.8 discovering the bavarian country
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on FF (in film the rendering is something better) digital (sony 7) and film (minolta xg9 and xd5 on kodak slide film)

With the nex 5 N, the aberrations aren't so great, but they are there.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Back to the Hexanon 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hello forum, very interesting to read all these postings. I cannot compare with all these other lenses. My question is more: Is my Hexanon good enough. What can I expect from such wide-angle lense on a m4/3 camera. Here are now some pictures more from the Hexanon, showing Regensburg. Conditions: freehand, sometimes leaning on a handrail, cloudy light. ISO 200 setting. For indoor I increased the ISO to 400.
The lense is equipped with a vivitar skylight filter (from ebay).

For the last situation in the concert hall (church) I changed the lense. Here the same situation seen by an Hexanon 85mm f1.8:

In my eyes this shows the performance of the 85mm lense.
Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the Hexanon 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Dachs wrote:
My question is more: Is my Hexanon good enough. What can I expect from such wide-angle lense on a m4/3 camera.

As you have already proved the Hexanon is more than good enough. What else would you expect from a lens?

The 24mm lens on your camera is more or less a "normal" lens representing approximately the same FOV as a 50mm lens on FF. The only question for me in this case would be if e.g. the Lumix 20mm/F1.7 lens or the Zuiko 25mm/F1.8 which are constructed for that sensor format would be of any advantage compared to any of the old 24mm SLR lenses i.e. your Hexanon.
As only the center of a SLR lens is used on MFT I think that more or less all the existing prime lenses of the well known manufacturers will perform very good and the differences would hardly be visible in the final picture.

The only possibility I would have is to compare the 20mm lens from Panasonic with other SLR lenses of comparable focus length on MFT. I didn't do that before because I would not see any advantage to use a SLR lens instead of the original one. Would be interesting though. Maybe I'll try that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
memetph wrote:
My sample is really bad . Corners and borders are never sharp even stopped down. It might be my sample but meanwhile I read some tests on A7 rating poorly this lens too.
I bought mine due to its reputation ( Leica bla bla bla, Artaphot ) . A big deception. The center is outstanding but that is all. It must work on a cropped sensor.

I rather think that the A7 is the problem and not the lens. There are quite a lot of reports of bad performance of wide angles on the A7. The very short flange focal distance of the E-mount would need a special sensor design to resolve the problem.

1) The Minolta MC 2.8/24mm certainly was OK at its time, but on a 24MP FF sensor it has corner problems
2) Lenses such as the Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm and the Canon new FD 2.8/24mm do perform better (even though the MC 2.8/24 has a better reputation than the latter)
3) The A7 is NOT the problem! While RF wideangles do perform VERY badly on the A7 (compared to the Leica M240), possibly critical SLR lenses such as MD 2/28mm, MD 1.2/50mm and MC 1.2/58mm did perfom identically on Sony A7II and Leica M240.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

1) The Minolta MC 2.8/24mm certainly was OK at its time, but on a 24MP FF sensor it has corner problems
2) Lenses such as the Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm and the Canon new FD 2.8/24mm do perform better (even though the MC 2.8/24 has a better reputation than the latter)
3) The A7 is NOT the problem! While RF wideangles do perform VERY badly on the A7 (compared to the Leica M240), possibly critical SLR lenses such as MD 2/28mm, MD 1.2/50mm and MC 1.2/58mm did perfom identically on Sony A7II and Leica M240.

Stephan,

Well, I cannot test my MD 24mm on FF on my A850, however I've tested the AF version of this lens and at least as from F5.6 it seems to be (almost) perfect on FF, though I don't know whether the optical formular is identical on both lenses. On my Ricoh GXR-M the MD version works also more than fine without visible shortcomings when stopped down a little bit.

You're absolutely right that the wide RF lenses are causing the most problems on the A7. However, some folks also reported already problems with some SLR wide angles on this camera. I don't know to be honest. On my A850 which is most probably equipped with a similar sensor as the A7 I didn't realize any specific problem up to now. So at least my SLR lenses work fine on it.