Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Autoreflex T3 repair guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Konica Autoreflex T3 repair guide Reply with quote

I noticed this camera doesn't have any repair manuals to be found anywhere. I expected to find something written about at least disassembly.

Why is that? It seems enough of these camera were built. I tried taking it apart, but it is too complicated compared to other 35mm cameras.

My mirror keeps getting stuck half way up. I have to push the DOG preview switch to release it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it looks terrible ..

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/slr/konica-autoreflex-t3/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/konica/konica_autoreflex_t3/konica_autoreflex_t3.htm Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several (10/12) konicas SRL from A to T3, T4, TC, and the point is the shutter mechanism.

Sometimes when you arm the shutter it opened and you take the pic without fire.

The mechanism of the shutter is off. No repair possible.

Arm the shutter sometimes and quickly. So you can see if the shutter is off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica Autoreflex T3 repair guide Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
I noticed this camera doesn't have any repair manuals to be found anywhere. I expected to find something written about at least disassembly.

Why is that? It seems enough of these camera were built. I tried taking it apart, but it is too complicated compared to other 35mm cameras.

My mirror keeps getting stuck half way up. I have to push the DOG preview switch to release it.

If you gently tap the mirror upwards when it is stuck, does the entire cycle complete? Perhaps you mirror is not stuck, but the system is too sluggish to send it upwards? If so, perhaps my experience could be of use to you.

If I understand correctly your post on KonicaSLR forum (it is you, I assume), what you are facing is called “shutter pre-fire”. It’s an affliction that only affects the Autoreflex T3 (and T3N), and is due to the fact that in those cameras – in contrast to those that preceded them – the spring tension necessary to operate the camera’s automatic exposure mechanism has been coupled to the film advance mechanism. In the previous Autoreflexes, it was coupled to the shutter release mechanism, hence the very long travel of the shutter release button on those cameras.

I believe the problem arises over time when the lubrication of the auto exposure mechanism thickens, and this creates enough friction to trip the shutter before the camera is cocked and the film advanced. The reason the shutter pre fires more often with lenses mounted on the camera than without them is that the tension of the lens’ aperture actuating mechanism is added to the already excessive tension of the automatic exposure mechanism within the camera.

One of the elements of the auto exposure mechanism you can reasonably reach without taking the entire camera apart is the big round wheel you can see just beyond the mount in front of the mirror. It is mounted on two little pins that position it when the shutter release button is depressed. It the lens is set to AE, and this depresses a tiny tab next to the mount, this ring rotates and pushes the lens’ actuating cam to the desired aperture setting. If this wheel has trouble turning, the entire tension of the mechanism goes to release the shutter too soon.

Years ago, I was able to resolve my T3N’s shutter pre-fire problem by adding a tiny (TINY) drop of oil for precision mechanisms (like for sowing machines), using a toothpick, onto the arm from which the two above-mentioned little pins protrude, having first exposed the camera to the sun to get it to warm up a bit. This little drop of oil migrated down this arm and obviously added just enough lubrication for the entire system to begin working again. Of course a CLA would be better, but why pay $150 for a total breakdown when the camera can be had for peanuts.

I am not a camera repairman and nothing I write above should be taken as advice. I meant it as a possible explanation for a situation that seemed familiar to me. If you try the above, please do so at your own risk and responsibility.