Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 75-150/4.5 Uni-Auto Zoom - First Komura zoom ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Komura 75-150/4.5 Uni-Auto Zoom - First Komura zoom ? Reply with quote

This lens is from perhaps 1967-1970. It is listed in the Komura 1969 catalog -

This lens came before the larger and rather elegant Komura 90-250/4.5, also present in the 1969 catalog.

This particular one came in Nikon mount, unfortunately the "ears" were missing. It does mount very securely on my Pentax, like many old Nikon-mount lenses. The mount is labelled Uni-Auto, which was Komura's interchangable lens system, though I cannot see how this particular mount can be exchanged, it doesn't have the Uni-Auto unlocking mechanism. A mystery.

Its a constant-aperture two-touch zoom that keeps its point of focus while zooming, which was a mark of a quality zoom at the time. Fit and finish, and construction quality are all first-rate, which is also a Komura characteristic. For the focal range and aperture though, it is a rather large lens. More than anything this indicates its age. Close focus is also a bit longer than became usual for zooms, this gets down only to 2M/6 feet.

I have no complaints about its performance. This is a perfectly usable, very sharp lens, just a bit soft wide-open at f/4.5, otherwise at least within the limits of my sensor. It has no particular problem with flare or color fringing, though it does show a bit of red fringe sometimes.

At least in the 1960's, Komura lenses were as good as any.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LUIS

you must have a some magic receipt which allows you to do all these shots..

tf

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid we never catch Luis, awesome cat picture , magical!

Others are great , but that cat...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

The best cat picture I have seen within the last months. Can you tell me something about your PP procedure. Special programm ?

BTW: is the bird a special friend of you ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolf

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top quality, as ever!

I think that Luis could teach every one of us a lesson about bird taming, camera handling and PP, too. Maybe we should collect some money and invite him to Europe. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat is a professional model!! Laughing

Luis, as always, congratulations. If I see your pics, I can buy all the lenses that you have. Very Happy

Thanks for share. Really. Regards.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures, Thanks.

Where did you get the Komura 1969 catalog? I would be highly interested in a copy (pdf)!

regards, Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komura catalog is here -

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html

Along with a lot of other very useful and interesting catalogs.

This gentleman has done a great public service in scanning and posting all this material.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis,

I have a Komura 135 with the same mount riddle. Beauty ring labelled "Sankyo Kohki Japan Super-Komura Uni Auto [etc.]", and lens mount labelled "Komura Uni Auto", but sans the release button or "lock/unlock" label. The mount will not budge. I think I may have posted about it here some years ago. Quite confounding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beautiful lens both in appearance and in use.
The focusing helicoid is so silky smooth it can be done with one finger.
It feels a little like the IF telelenses from Canon and Nikon in this regard.
I like it for its soft beauty wide open.
Here are some images. The second one has had some help from PP but you can see from the first, what the starting point resembled.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy has the removable uni-adapter.
T

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just started using this lens on my A7R2. love it for B&W.
there is some dust in the rear element, that can be a pain in PP, if i shoot from f11 forward.
i have removed the whole lens assembly, but not able to get that last element out so that i can blow the dust off and clean the glass.

anyone have any experience with this. i have pulled a few lenses apart, and been sucessful with CLA, but this one is bothering me. I also have the Komura 35mm f2.5 that needs some cleaning, but not that bad. both are very useable, but the dust in the zoom is beginning to bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different versions but both seem to have the Uni adapter. There is one with built in hood and name ring in front instead of on the side:

Don't know if it is later or earlier.

edit: some research Komura Lens mfg. ltd. was used from the mid seventies, so I guess it is newer tha Luis's version. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Sanky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dki#History

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one in Japan. With FD uni Auto-mount mount for 500 yen. Now the 135 with m42 uni-auto mount really has to finally come through customs or I won't be able to use it :p.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first test shot:
Messkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

These lenses must have cost an arm and a leg back in the days. I think perfomance is better than the primes (I have 2 135's and a 200) As sharp as I have seen from a zoom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens and very nice images here.

Intrigued that an adapter system for different camera makes appeared that early.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

These lenses must have cost an arm and a leg back in the days. I think performance is better than the primes (I have 2 135's and a 200) As sharp as I have seen from a zoom

I agree with you that these lenses must have been very expensive to make. And for their day, very good indeed.
They exude quality and are silky smooth to operate - mine are anyway.
There is a gentle softness sometimes wide open that is very appealing, and closed down they can be quite sharp enough.
Here are a few shots to share:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of later lens coatings is giving it quite a low contrast/vintage character.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The lack of later lens coatings is giving it quite a low contrast/vintage character.

Most Komuras are like this, and that is their appeal.
Apart from their excellent primes, there is also the Super-Komura 90-250mm f4.5 which performs similarly.
These zooms are not to be confused with the later Komuranons, which are not as good in my opinion
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I have two 135's a Komura and a Super-Komura. The Super-Komura has more modern coatings (and is more contrasty wide open) but this one is also a Super-Komura but still has the blueish single coating. There are later versions of this lens (all black) that probably have the more modern coating. The Difference between Komura and Super-Komura seems the be the mount adapter. Komura is a screw type like T-mount Super-Komura is a Bayonet type.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird stuff going on in the bokeh balls. Must be separation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some sample Komura coatings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Wow! Nice collection too!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One at 150mm wide open.

Crokeh light by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
One at 150mm wide open.