Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 2x-3x zoom teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Komura 2x-3x zoom teleconverter Reply with quote

I picked up this odd thing in a lot I bought a couple of months ago. I'm sure a lot of us have aquired a box full of teleconverters, one way or another, without meaning to. Me too. I never use them. But this one was curious.

One reason is that it is a Komura, which had a reputation for making the best TC's available. Then there is the zoom aspect - TC's are questionable gimmicks to begin with, how much more a zoom TC ? I don't know about you, but I can't resist a good disaster. And then there is the design of the thing - it has that mid-1960's je ne sais quoi, maybe its the nice enamel and engraving.

So I mounted the Sears(Tomioka) 55/1.4 on it, and tried it out this afternoon.

It is, optically very curious, and very interesting. Wide open (f/1.4 with the Sears, effectively f/2.8 or f/4.2) at 2x or 3x it is a rather fine soft-focus, very dreamy lens. It is a very interesting effect.

At f/4 (f/8-f/12?) it is as sharp as anyone would want, though the contrast may be a bit low.

First is at f/1.4, the next at f/4 -

also at f/1.4 -

at f/4 -

Sunlight was creating a diffraction pattern on this street sign -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: fantastic shots Reply with quote

they are great shots and surprisingly sharp for a t/c what camera did you use with it.
love the tram shot.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats with the Pentax K100D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis I like the effect.
You made a good show for it with the pavilion (first two pics).
Wonder how much the 1.4/50 had to do with the soft glow Question

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the soft glow came from the 55/1.4, this lens is not really soft even wide open, and certainly not that soft. I am inclined to blame the TC for "ruining" the picture !

This is the Sears 55/1.4 at f/1.4 -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2973646504_8ecfbbf895_o.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks to me like you have a FINE tool for certain effects. But even more than that, when stopped down, the results are incredible for a teleconverter (and especially a variable teleconverter! Shocked ).

I have the Komura Telemore 95 2x converter, and it is the best I've seen so far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

Very surprising. I have that Sears lens and like it a lot, but I don't know if I could bring myself to use a doubler on it. Yours does seem to work well though

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a true treasure tool. This is the first time I see Komura
2X-3X tele-converter, which is a very capable one when stopped down.

It is an interesting one, which makes fixed lenses to zooms!
I love these things. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you koji! Another way to use a tool! You don't always HAVE to have the most incredible sharpness in the world, yet still have use for a new tool.

In this case, the first image with its "glow" is reminiscent of some of the results from the old Dagor and Burke brass lenses, and even the meniscus lenses of the early 20th century!

Luis...I would LOVE to see a portrait with the wide-open aspects...I have a feeling it might look pretty dreamy and beautiful.

Frankly, I would cosider buying one of these, just to maintain that glow, especially if it turns out to "enhance" portraiture.