Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Recomar 33 9x12 plate cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Kodak Recomar 33 9x12 plate cameras Reply with quote

I have three of these things, as they are just too pretty to pass up if they can be gotten for a good price. I have this very nice, "plain" one, one good user with cosmetic issues but with an installed early Kalart rangefinder, and one wreck for parts. I am going to sell the pretty one.

These cameras were made by the Kodak-owned Nagel works from 1928 to I believe 1939 or 1940. They are certainly not rare, at least not in the US. They come in several cosmetic variants and in two sizes, of which the Recomar 18 was a 6.5x9cm and the 33 a 9x12. Some of them (early ones I think) were equipped with Schneider Xenars, so labelled, the rest with the Tessar formula Kodak Anastigmats, which may have been made by Schneider, but who knows. There are pre-Kodak Nagel-branded versions but these are quite uncommon.

In general, they fit the ubiquitous model of the German plate camera, made by dozens of makers in a multitude of variations.

These were essentially miniature view cameras, meant to be focused using a removable groundglass back, which was replaced by a cut film or glass plate holder or roll film back for taking the picture. They were also generally equipped with a "brilliant" finder and a "sports" wire-frame finder, and a focusing scale for more casual use. In the 1920's and 30's these were incredibly popular among serious amateurs and many professionals. People who would have Canon 5D's today would have had one of these in 1932.

These are a bit unusual as Kodak only offered them with the dial Compurs and the one lens, unlike the German makers which would have a range of lens and shutter options. They are also the easiest of these cameras to find both film/plate and roll backs for, as it seems that any of the 9x12 backs will fit these, as they seem to have the widest channels of the breed. I have both Rollex and Suydam 120 backs for 9x12, and both work; I have seen these with Rada backs also. I can use Zeiss plate/film holders on them too; it also helps that in the US the Kodak holders are by far the most common sort.

The real difference though is when you handle these. These things are solid, these things are quality. The Kodak Recomars are the most durable, precisely built plate cameras of this type I have handled, and I have owned plenty. The best of Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc. can't match them. When Kodak sought a quality maker it did not make a mistake.

These are very plain cameras. Other makers tried to differentiate by, for instance, making interchangeable lens systems (Zeiss Ideal, Voigtlander Bergheil, Certo Sport) , that never caught on; others made pop-on-off backs (Zeiss Ideal, etc.) that were unique to the type. Others like KW went for extreme compactness and light weight. The Nagel/Kodaks didn't bother.

Like most of the high end cameras of this type (and plenty of the lesser ones too) these little folders had rise/fall and shift movements. One mark of the quality camera of the day is the double extension bellows - double the focal length and more. This was not meant to accomodate long lenses of course, but to give these things the ability to go to 1:1 with ease.

I will post more here on the other one I have, with the very interesting (and not rare !) early Kalart rangefinder, roll backs, film holders, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a very informative post. I love 9x12s and the Recomars are among the best, a pity they are not so common here in Europe.