Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Ektar 3.5/50, a decent shooter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject: Kodak Ektar 3.5/50, a decent shooter Reply with quote

I've got a separate Kodak Ektar 3.5/50 which must come from a pre-war Retina, the same as in this post. Two glasses are damaged inside the front group, towards the lens' borders, but this does not prevent from a nice and estonishingly sharp rendering, working especially well for portraits. Colour rendering looks also pleasing.

The following shots are taken WO, the lens being put on Sony Nex with a Chinese helicoid and an adapter ring. Shutter lamels are immobilized with a small piece of metal put inside the Compur mecanism. Minor contrast and luminosity tweaks are applied.

#5 Simple BW conversion

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kodak Ektar 3.5/50, a decent shooter Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Great shots - excellent composition and the slightly muted but very beautiful tones work wonderful as well. The name Ektar doesn‘t tell a lot about the design… do you know if this is one of the 5-element ones? It seems to have a nice rendering.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An insight into Kodak Ektars can be found here https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Kodak_lenses
As I remember from my Kodak collecting days, the Ektars were fitted to Retinas primarily for the US market, whereas the Schneider lenses were mostly used for the European market, possibly for tax avoidance purposes … maybe simply because of parts availability.
Kodak were quite the manufacturer to be reckoned with in their heyday Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Like 1

The similar

http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-ektar-anastigmat-5cm-3-5-kodak-retina-t84195,highlight,%2Bkodak+%2Bektar+%2B3+%2B5+%2B50.html

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.
No such thing as a bad Ektar.
Congrats

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your comments, fellows!

Sergey, I've seen your wonderful shots (as well as the ones by Attila) which helped me to decide whether to go for another 50mm lens.

Thank you for the useful link, kypfer. According to it, this Ektar is a "4-element Tessar type ... another highly corrected lens which gave superb results in Kodachrome or black-and-white".

To my eye, it gives another rendering as compared to Tessars and Xenars which usually give higher detail and more vivid colours. In some way, it renders closer to a projection triplet or Mir-1, although with a much better overall sharpness. So, even a greater is the pleasure to use it getting shots that feel different.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having made more real life shots I start suspecting the lens' formula is not Tessar but rather Heliar. Muted colours, bokeh type and in-focus to OOF transitions look similar to an enlarging Ektar I tested.

Here are some of my recent shots, mostly WO, with auto-contrast applied.

#1 Contrast boosted more

#2 In-focus to OOF transition

#3 The chipped front glass is translated into not perfectly round bokeh circles

#4 At f5.6

#5 Sooc jpg at f3.5, example of a moderate flare with a directly reflected sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Here is a couple more shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The little brother to the legendary Ektar 40mm f/2.0 Ektars found on the Kardons and some Retina IIs.

I've always loved the rendering of the Ektars from this period.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I've never seen results from Ektar 2/40, and internet does not seem to be a rich source for this lens. Do you have some samples to show?

The 3.5/50 muted colours and Heliar-like rendering give a luxury look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Kodak made some very good lenses at that time. This one was no exception.

BTW, I have a Retina IIs with an Ektar 47/2.0. It should be an interesting lens from what I have seen on the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at some samples from Ektar 2/47 in the net, which look fine. Do you have yours? I'd be really interested to see them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you! I've never seen results from Ektar 2/40, and internet does not seem to be a rich source for this lens. Do you have some samples to show?

The 3.5/50 muted colours and Heliar-like rendering give a luxury look.

HA yes, that's a typo. It is indeed the 47mm f/2 I was referring to.

I have one I can put on some tubes and throw on the S5 for some samples this week if the weather cooperaties.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be really interesting!