Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Kodak Ektar 127mm f4.7 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this lens and can comment on sharpness and coverage.
I am under the impression that it is capable of 4X5 but is happiest with 6X9
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one just like that on my Speed Graphic. I love the color rendition and look of images. Unfortunately I only use it with 3x4 Polaroid so I don't know about the coverage. They were the stock lens on many 4x5 Speed Graphics.

Ektar 127 on Fuji FP100C Wide open at F4.7

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Ektar 127/4.7 Reply with quote

I have this lens on Polaroid 110 for film (rangefinder) - without tilt-shift. So it covers 4x5. But I don't know about tilt-shift. It is not very sharp - may be because of my habit to use this Polaroid without tripod.
Some pictures:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 127/4.7 Ektar is a normal lens for 3.25" x 4.25". It just covers 4x5, was the standard short normal lens for US press cameras from the mid-1940s to the end of 4x5 press cameras here.

There's also a 152/4.5 Ektar, same design, that covers 4x5 and then some and is a normal lens for 4x5.

I have a couple of 127 Ektars in so-so shutters, use a 127/4.7 Tominon in #1 Copal-Polaroid Press instead. I haven't tested hard but a 127/4.7 Ektar in good condition in a good shutter would never be a bad mistake if you want to shoot 4x5 without movements or a smaller format with.

Where f/4.5 tessar types fall down relative to equivalent f/5.6 plasmat types is in coverage. If much coverage isn't needed a tessar type is still a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback
I have found one of these and will try it out on 4X5 when it arrives
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the letters on the front of serial #, it is 1946 production.
Perfect lens for reporters, they were shooting straight, without tilting and shifting on 4X5. Lens is slightly wide angle for this formate, taking a broad target, good for cropping.
All Ektars are superb!

The date deciphering for Ektars:

C-A-M-E-R-O-S-I-T-Y = 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-7-8-9-0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
Judging by the letters on the front of serial #, it is 1946 production.
Perfect lens for reporters, they were shooting straight, without tilting and shifting on 4X5. Lens is slightly wide angle for this formate, taking a broad target, good for cropping.
All Ektars are superb!

The date deciphering for Ektars:

C-A-M-E-R-O-S-I-T-Y = 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-7-8-9-0

Thank you Paulius.
That is great to know
OH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You welcome, Oldhand!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this discussion has come back to life, I'll take the opportunity to point out that the OP's lens is coated. The L in circle on the trim ring is short for Lumenized, EKCo-speak for coated.

EKCo started coating lenses for civilians sometime in 1946. Early '46 Ektars like my 101/4.5 aren't coated, late '46 Ektars like the OP's are.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Since this discussion has come back to life, I'll take the opportunity to point out that the OP's lens is coated. The L in circle on the trim ring is short for Lumenized, EKCo-speak for coated.

EKCo started coating lenses for civilians sometime in 1946. Early '46 Ektars like my 101/4.5 aren't coated, late '46 Ektars like the OP's are.

Many thanks Dan
OH