Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KMZ Industar-22 50mm/F3.5 "rigit white" M39/LTM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: KMZ Industar-22 50mm/F3.5 "rigit white" M39/LTM Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

This morning I took my Industar-22 lens on my Ricoh GXR-M for first time testing. It's the not so common "rigit white" version from 1952. Actually it's a similar construction as the collapsible version which was more or less the newer version of the FED 50/3.5 (copy of the "legendary" Leitz Elmar). Basically it's a 4 elements in 3 groups design. My version is coated.

Picture of the lens: http://goo.gl/6zoUjt

I had no chance to use any lens shade as none of my existing would fit. For some of the blooms and closer distance pictures I used the Zenit 7mm M39 distance ring.
Pictures as boring as usual and only downsized for presentation. No PP, except some exposure corrections (if needed).

The example Pictures (clickable for larger view):

Some crops at 100% for the pixel peepers:

My final judgement is that this lens is certainly usable and not bad either. On the crop of the lamp (CA test shot) I've noticed no CA's whatsoever. Also the car crop didn't show any. That's rather remarkable for such an old lens from 1952. It's also noteworthy to state that this lens is in an used condition with dust inside and cleaning marks.
All in all the lens did surprise me in a positive way. Maybe I will use it more often in the future.

FYI, most of the pictures are shot fully open, the infinity tests rather stopped down. It's visible anyway.

I've bought it some years ago when it was mounted on a Zorki 1b (Leica II copy) which since that time is collecting dust as a show piece (actually it's a beautiful camera Wink ).
Picture of the camera: http://goo.gl/YLeJhq

As usual, comments are most welcome.

Cheers,

Last edited by tb_a on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by coincidence I received an Industar-22 in the mail yesterday. It is a rigid 1955 production lens with the red 'P'. It has an M39 thread but is rigged to focus on an M42 mount.

Here is one of my test shots wide open at f3.5 taken with a Sony A7II. Out of camera JPG.

In my opinion it is a very capable lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Just by coincidence I received an Industar-22 in the mail yesterday. It is a rigid 1955 production lens with the red 'P'. It has an M39 thread but is rigged to focus on an M42 mount.

That's quite funny.

So yours maybe the Zenit/M39 version, as otherwise it wouldn't work on M42.
However, the optical construction is the same, the overall construction is logically a bit shorter due to different register distances.
Do you have a picture of this lens?
It would be the predecessor of the Industar-50.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what it looks like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, that's definitely the Zenit SLR version. It was the standard lens for the Zenit-1.
The LTM version with the smaller adapter would have been the more compact solution. However, I think for your A7 the SLR lenses are the better performers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been putting together a 'kit' of Soviet M42 lenses to use with tha A7II. This version of the Industar fit into it.

MIR-24M MC 35mm f/2.0
MIR 1 37mm f/2.8
Zenitar M MC 50mm f/1.7
HELIOS 77M-4 MC 50mm f/1.8
INDUSTAR 61 L/Z MC 50mm f/2.8
Industar 22 50mm f/3.5
HELIOS 44 58mm f/2.0
Jupiter 9 MC 85mm f/2.0
KALEINAR 5H MC 2.8/100
JUPITER-37A MC 3.5/135

There were others but I've sold some off as redundant or of poorer quality.

After I bought the A7II I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary to emphasize smaller lenses. Between the IBIS and the heft of the body the larger M42 lenses are just fine.

I do have a selection of LTM lenses that I use primarily with the A6000. As I already own 3 collapsible 50s, FED 3.5/50, Canon Serenar 1.9/50 and Leica Summitar 2.0/50 I passed on the collapsible Industar-22.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
I have been putting together a 'kit' of Soviet M42 lenses to use with tha A7II. This version of the Industar fit into it.

Indeed, already a nice collection of "Russians".

I think I have some more. Wink

However, generally those lenses deliver good to excellent results and have been stunningly cheap for me. Some of them raised their prices meanwhile considerably.
Luckily I started their collection already BEFORE the digital hype has begun. Wink
I should have bought even more at that "good" times.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a, if you want a cool hood for your lens, look for an Industar-50 for Kiev-16c movie camera. They often come with genuine metal hood which fit to old Industar 22 rigid and Industar-50, without vignetting on FF. It's screw hood.

I also have the I-22 for Zenit, but my I-50 perform better, according to me. I-50 is supposed to have better optical design than 22...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
tb_a, if you want a cool hood for your lens, look for an Industar-50 for Kiev-16c movie camera. They often come with genuine metal hood which fit to old Industar 22 rigid and Industar-50, without vignetting on FF. It's screw hood.

I also have the I-22 for Zenit, but my I-50 perform better, according to me. I-50 is supposed to have better optical design than 22...

Thanks for your advice. I have the Industar-50 in M39/LTM in rigid chrome as well. I think it came with a Zorki 6 if my memory serves me rightly.
It's this lens: http://goo.gl/jEO3I1
What I understood is that the lens formula is still the same as the I-22 (based on the Leitz Elmar) but the I-50 has better coating. However I don't know it for sure.
I didn't try it up to now. But if it turns out to be the better lens, then it would make more sense to look for a hood for the I-50.
The I-50 seems to have a 32mm filter thread. Can you confirm this?
There would be cheap ones available in 32mm.
Alternatively a clamp on filter 36mm like the Leitz one would fit (actually for both I-22 and I-50).
I don't think that it would be a good idea to buy another lens just for the hood. Although, if the price is OK. Maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the coating has been modified.

You can find comparaison here (the two last are 22 and 50)

http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site1/industar.html
Schems are from zenitcamera.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Not only the coating has been modified.

You can find comparaison here (the two last are 22 and 50)

http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site1/industar.html
Schems are from zenitcamera.com

Thanks a lot, Pierre.

Anything about the Filter thread diameter? Particularly of the I-50 LTM rigid version?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filter is 33mm on I-50 rigid and I-22 rigid (at least, Zenit version, I can't check Zorki version, since I don't have one).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Pierre.

Actually there is no filter thread on the I-22 RF lens, neither on the rigid nor on the collapsible version (I have both). Same story on the old FED lens which looks like the I-22 (Elmar collapsible clone). I think this lens is designed to use clamp on filters or hoods in 36mm like the Leitz Elmar.
However, I'll check for a 33mm hood for the I-50.

BTW, that's a infinity test shot from this evening with the I-50 RF lens (M39/LTM) rigid version silver from the Zorki 6 (built 1967):

BTW, that's St. Margarethen/Burgenland and the mountains in the background are the eastern end of the Alps.

Picture clickable for larger view.
My first impression is that the I-22 is slightly sharper in the edges. However, will check again in direct comparison. Though, the Industar-50 (LTM, rigid) seems to perform quite good as well on my Ricoh GXR-M.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thanks again, Pierre.

Actually there is no filter thread on the I-22 RF lens, neither on the rigid nor on the collapsible version (I have both). Same story on the old FED lens which looks like the I-22 (Elmar collapsible clone). I think this lens is designed to use clamp on filters or hoods in 36mm like the Leitz Elmar.

Check the inside of the aperture ring, there are threads there, though, finding a hood that size will be hard.
There is this hood for the 22: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lens-Hood-Sun-Shade-36mm-plastic-of-Industar-10-22-50-Elmar-lens-3813-/371190319900

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

There is this hood for the 22: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lens-Hood-Sun-Shade-36mm-plastic-of-Industar-10-22-50-Elmar-lens-3813-/371190319900

Thank's, I checked that already. However, the A36 Leica version is not considerably more expensive, though more solid.
I'll decide which way to go after direct comparison of those "Russian" fifties. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing with the metal hood is that it fit good (same style), and it last long time. The plastic slip-on hood is that with time and temperature difference, they fall of the lens quite easily.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
The good thing with the metal hood is that it fit good (same style), and it last long time. The plastic slip-on hood is that with time and temperature difference, they fall of the lens quite easily.

Thank's for sharing, Pierre.

It's on my short list already. Wink