Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 28mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Kiron 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any disassembly experience with this lens?

I acquired an all-manual one in PK mount a few weeks ago, for use on my Pentax, did the usual cursory checks which all seemed OK and put it to one side 'till I wanted to play with it.
When I took it out the other evening I was surprised to find the lens focussed at infinity when set at about 2m on the scale. No big deal and not something I can't live with, for what I want it for. However it'd be so much easier to use if infinity really was infinity (or as close as dammit).
I suspect a thick shim or spacer has been removed from behind the mount, possibly to assist with use on a non-PK camera with adaptor. There's none of the usual scratch-marks or chewed screw-heads to suggest the lens has been totally or even partially disassembled and reassembled incorrectly.

Just hoping someone has experience with this lens, ideally in PK mount, and might be able to confirm the shim/spacer configuration under the mount.

TIA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my write up here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/391582-kiron-vivitar-28mm-f2-24mm-f2-sticky-iris-fix.html

It is the distance scale that has the infinity stop, the position of this is what you need to adjust. Should be straightforward to do. Basically you must remove the nameplate/front end. Then set the lens at infinity and see which way you need to move the distance scale to give you a bit more helicoid movement there, then slacken the set screws on the distance scale and rotate it a few mm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
See my write up here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/391582-kiron-vivitar-28mm-f2-24mm-f2-sticky-iris-fix.html

It is the distance scale that has the infinity stop, the position of this is what you need to adjust. Should be straightforward to do. Basically you must remove the nameplate/front end. Then set the lens at infinity and see which way you need to move the distance scale to give you a bit more helicoid movement there, then slacken the set screws on the distance scale and rotate it a few mm.

Many thanks for the details Smile

Careful examination with a loupe shows the tiny grub-screw does appear to have been interfered with, so that's probably where the problem lies. At the moment, I don't have a screwdriver quite small enough to tackle that screw, but I'll keep note of the details and see what I can find next time I'm shopping Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's pretty small. You can pick up cheap "jewellers screwdriver(s)", then file/dremel one to size. Take care not to trash the grub screw. if it's already been removed once then the thread locker grip should have been broken. Once the screwdriver is the right size, then feel its engagement in the screw and carefully apply gently increasing rotation until you can feel the screw turn, while maintaining a firm downward press to keep the tip in the slot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Yeah it's pretty small. You can pick up cheap "jewellers screwdriver(s)", then file/dremel one to size. Take care not to trash the grub screw. if it's already been removed once then the thread locker grip should have been broken. Once the screwdriver is the right size, then feel its engagement in the screw and carefully apply gently increasing rotation until you can feel the screw turn, while maintaining a firm downward press to keep the tip in the slot.

Screwdriver acquired - lens adjusted Smile

Thank you again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It s nice to see feedback posted from somebody that asked for help, it doesn t happen that often.