Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kilfitt Makro-Kilar and not standard screw - can help me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Kilfitt Makro-Kilar and not standard screw - can help me? Reply with quote

i have a m42 lens:
Kilfitt Makro-Kilar D 40mm f2.8

this lens has not a standard 0.75mm screw (to put filter).
i suppose it has 0.50mm screw.

i measured (using a caliber) the internal diameter: it is 50,5 mm. it is possibile 50,5 mm?? very strange!

i want to find an adapter ring 0.50mm screw => 0.75mm screw
(i want to put standard filter and a lens hood)

can help me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken care of!

If the frontal element of the lens is remote of border Ring where the filter is placed, they can appear reflected in the image.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Taken care of!

If the frontal element of the lens is remote of border Ring where the filter is placed, they can appear reflected in the image.

Rino.

hello estudleon Wink

please, i know english not very well: give me info in easy english Wink

what do you want tell me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Iridium! Unfortunately I can't help to you with suitable information.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome Iridium! Unfortunately I can't help to you with suitable information.

hello attila Smile

but it is avaible an adapter ring 0.50mm screw => 0.75mm screw in the world?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Taken care of!

Rino.

ok. now i understand you.

but i want to have a protectr filter (uv) on my lens!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can find a slip-on filter that goes over the inside of the thread or the outside of the lens barrel. These are common for the old Series filter rings (Series 7/VII, Series 8/VIII, etc.). On one side there are metal prongs that hold the lens barrel tightly, on the other the Series thread. There are easy to find adapters from Series 7 or 8 to regular filter thread.

I believe you can find a Series 7/VII with 50.5mm or 52mm slip-on diameter. The first may go inside the filter thread, the other possibly might fit over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Maybe you can find a slip-on filter that goes over the inside of the thread or the outside of the lens barrel. These are common for the old Series filter rings (Series 7/VII, Series 8/VIII, etc.). On one side there are metal prongs that hold the lens barrel tightly, on the other the Series thread. There are easy to find adapters from Series 7 or 8 to regular filter thread.

I believe you can find a Series 7/VII with 50.5mm or 52mm slip-on diameter. The first may go inside the filter thread, the other possibly might fit over.

about you:
lens => ring Series 7/VII with 50.5mm => adapter Series 7/VII to regular filter thread (0.75mm) => filter UV with regular filter thread (0.75mm)

do you tell me this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i again measured (using a caliber) the internal diameter: it is 50.5 mm.

i must buy a 50.5 mm or a 51mm ring?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iridium,

Yes, more or less - slip-on adapter with Series VII (or Series VIII) ring->modern filter adapter->UV filter.

Also possible is -

slip-on adapter with Series VII (or Series VIII) ring->old Series VII (or VIII) UV filter (no thread)->Series VII (or Series VIII) retaining ring.

The problem with slip-on rings/filters/hoods is the measurements are not precise. The slip-on measure is also usually the ID of the slip-on prongs, as these usually go over the lens. So if you want the slip-on adapter to go INSIDE the filter thread of the lens maybe it should be a 45-49mm. For an outside fitting, you should measure the OD of the lens.

The good thing about slip-on rings is the prongs can be bent a little, so if you are off 1-2 mm it can be adjusted.

The biggest ID slip on ring for Series VII is I think 52mm. So if you want to have it go over the lens and the lens OD is bigger than 52mm you should think of Series VIII.

Also consider if you put in an adapter/filter on the inside you may be causing vignetting on the lens if it is smaller than intended. What camera will you use ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks luisalegria

no problem about vignetting: i will use this lens on a new digital pentax aps-c.

some questions:

1 - where i can find an "adapter Series 7/VII to regular filter thread (0.75mm)" ?

can you give me a link? ebay auction?

2 - about you if i measured (using a caliber) the internal diameter: it is 50.5 mm.
i must buy a 50.5 mm or a 51mm ring?
50.5 is better? 51mm can be big?

3 - what is the "OD of the lens" ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iridium,

OD-Outside diameter

This place has Series VII-metric adapters in the US, they aren't that hard to find here, but I suggest you look locally. These should also be available from the Hong Kong vendors. This is a good vendor, I have made several purchases from them.

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/rings3.aspx

I am not sure what would be best for fitting inside your filter thread. Maybe 47-49mm ? Slip on filters are measured on the inside diameter, but you are concerned with the outside diameter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Series-7-VII-Lens-ADAPTER-RETAINING-RING-Slip-On-54mm_W0QQitemZ400023747203QQihZ027QQcategoryZ4702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would fit over the outside of the lens - you need to check the outside diameter. This is the biggest Series VII slip-on I have ever seen btw.

Note that it comes with a retaining ring. That is for retaining a Series VII filter with no thread, like this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Series-VII-7-UV-15-Camera-Lens-Filter_W0QQitemZ400023743504QQihZ027QQcategoryZ50535QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This shows the back of a slip-on ring so you know what you are getting -

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-8-54mm-Slip-Over-to-Series-VIII-8-Adapter-Ring_W0QQitemZ380067303169QQihZ025QQcategoryZ30040QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Series-7-VII-Lens-ADAPTER-RETAINING-RING-Slip-On-54mm_W0QQitemZ400023747203QQihZ027QQcategoryZ4702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would fit over the outside of the lens - you need to check the outside diameter. This is the biggest Series VII slip-on I have ever seen btw.

Note that it comes with a retaining ring. That is for retaining a Series VII filter with no thread, like this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Series-VII-7-UV-15-Camera-Lens-Filter_W0QQitemZ400023743504QQihZ027QQcategoryZ50535QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This shows the back of a slip-on ring so you know what you are getting -

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-8-54mm-Slip-Over-to-Series-VIII-8-Adapter-Ring_W0QQitemZ380067303169QQihZ025QQcategoryZ30040QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria thanks again Very Happy

A - this solution (if i find all adapters) is good:

lens => ring Series 7/VII with 50.5mm => adapter Series 7/VII to regular filter thread (0.75mm) => filter UV with regular filter thread (0.75mm)

B - Kilfitt has: internal diameter 50,5mm and external diameter 60mm

c - i suppose to put "inside" the ring Series 7/VII. it is right or not???
or i must put "outside"????

D - please, if you can, tell me where i can buy the exact adapters for my Kilfitt lens (i prefer ebay). thanks Wink

-----

see here: internal and external diameter.

what is the diameter important for me?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a inner screw thread? The image almost looks as if it doesn't...

In any case, the inner diameter is relevant for screw in filters, the outer for slip-ons.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Does it have a inner screw thread? The image almost looks as if it doesn't...

In any case, the inner diameter is relevant for screw in filters, the outer for slip-ons.

Sevo

Hi Smile

yes, it has a little inner screw thread and i suppose it has 0.50mm screw.

about you for an adapter ring Series 7/VII, what is the good?
50.5mm ???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please, help me Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iridium,

Slip on over the lens may be a little difficult on this lens. There is no smooth place for it to slip on, the only surface on the outside looks like it is knurled. A slip-on could damage that. If you want to try it, you will need a slip-on of 60mm. I have never seen one that big.

A slip on can also be used on an INTERNAL surface, some old lenses were designed for that, I have some like that.

So I think a slip-on with an INTERNAL diameter of about 46-48mm should be able to go on the inside, as the prongs are about 1mm thick - so 48mm+1mm+1mm=50mm. Maybe its best to go a little smaller than 48mm ? To make it fit you can bend the slip-on metal prongs a little. There are Series 7/VII slip-on adapters that size.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks luisalegria Very Happy

INTERNAL diameter! i thought right! ok! Very Happy

now i will buy a Series 7/VII slip-on and i hope to find a good slip-on for my lens.

thanks Smile