Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kamero lens thread and serial number chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

This thread is for Kamero lenses, who made them,
Lens pics, samples, and lens id chart.

History. I can find very little info online
So if you have any info please link it or
Post it in this thread.

Kamero lenses were distributed by Woolworth,
And I know they were sold thru Woolco department
Stores.

Lens ID chart.
1st number ID's the maker

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = ?
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

This is a work in progress.
Not finalized codes.

? - I have not found any pics of Kamero
Lenses starting with 3 or 6, so that's
Why no maker is listed.
I'm not sure if their is an 8 or 9 code
Either.

Please post pics of any Kamero lens you have,
And sample pics.
Questions coments or critiques are also welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamero 35mm f2.8. This is the 4 code Mitake version.
It has a deeply recessed front element.
Shot with Nex 6 hand held, no hood, at ISO 100 at 1/500, f8.
JPEG resized no pp.
I will edit in pics of the lens later.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
. . .
Kamero lenses were distributed by Woolworth ...

Seeing the Woolworth name brings back memories.

walter g wrote:
Lens ID chart.

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = ?
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

Currently on ebay, there's a Kamero zoom which according to the listing "... is labeled Kamero Auto Zoom F/4.5 85-210mm 55 No. 301328".
Unfortunately, there's no picture of the front of the lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

I own Kamero 135mm f/2.8 #150358.

My lens doesn't get much use because of its long, 2.5m minimum focus distance. But when I've had it out, it seems to be reasonably sharp with minimal aberrations.
Here's a sample shot from my Canon 5D at f/4. I added some color, contrast and sharpness in post.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim. That's exactly what I needed. I tracked down multiple copies of the 85-210 under different names that were the same.
Everyone serial number started with 3.

The major producer of these lenses were Sun Optical.

Updated chart.

Lens ID chart.

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = Sun
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

This is a work in progress.
Not finalized codes.

? - I have not found any pics of Kamero
Lenses starting with 6, so that's
Why no maker is listed.
I'm not sure if their is an 8 or 9 code
Either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, the Mitake made Kamero 135mm f2.8 is the next lens on my list to buy. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

55 wrote:

Seeing the Woolworth name brings back memories

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Tim, the Mitake made Kamero 135mm f2.8 is the next lens on my list to buy. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure, Walter. Thanks for starting an interesting topic.

frenched wrote:

Like 1

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

Thank you Walter G for the time and effort you have put in to research this make of lens. I bought a Kamero 135mm f2.8 about two years ago in error as I did not read the listing on eBay carefully and the seller was economic with the truth in their description. I paid too much for it but when compared to what I would have to pay for a Minolta branded lens today it was cheap. As it turned out it is a well made lens, with a solid all metal construction and I would be keen to know if it is much different to the equivalent lens made by Minolta or whoever made it for them? The lens I bought was new although obviously very old stock as photo of the box shows. The serial number indicates that it was made by Mitake and it would be interesting to know how it compares in terms of quality with others?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

42degreesS wrote:
Thank you Walter G for the time and effort you have put in to research this make of lens. I bought a Kamero 135mm f2.8 about two years ago in error as I did not read the listing on eBay carefully and the seller was economic with the truth in their description. I paid too much for it but when compared to what I would have to pay for a Minolta branded lens today it was cheap. As it turned out it is a well made lens, with a solid all metal construction and I would be keen to know if it is much different to the equivalent lens made by Minolta or whoever made it for them? The lens I bought was new although obviously very old stock as photo of the box shows. The serial number indicates that it was made by Mitake and it would be interesting to know how it compares in terms of quality with others?

Hi, 42degreesS.

I've quoted your post so the pictures will now show. As an anti spam measure, photos aren't allowed in a member's first post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this one today. Kamero auto 35mm f2.8 Serial number 422733. Not bad for $25!

s-l1600

Sample image:
Kamero 35mm f2.8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got diverse lenses for free the other day, and there was a Kamero zoom. Search online brought me here at once.

MC Kamero Auto Zomm f3.5 to f16 35-105mm ø72 , M42 mount with auto-pin, A-M switch, macro ring:

fully extended:

A-M setting and aperture on narrow rings by the mount, under the macro ring with it's lock button/release

----

I put the lense on my Canon 5D and went take few pictures after work. It shows some vignetting and distorsion when zoomed out as wide angle.

better used at normal and portrait/tele focals.

full open, focus on street sign, then on branch:

would have to play some more to see how worth it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Makina made lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

yes, I forgot that: nr. 774509, so as per OP, Makina.
The lens is solid, all metal, 761g.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

55 wrote:
walter g wrote:
. . .
Kamero lenses were distributed by Woolworth ...

Seeing the Woolworth name brings back memories.

walter g wrote:
Lens ID chart.

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = ?
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

Currently on ebay, there's a Kamero zoom which according to the listing "... is labeled Kamero Auto Zoom F/4.5 85-210mm 55 No. 301328".
Unfortunately, there's no picture of the front of the lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

I own Kamero 135mm f/2.8 #150358.

My lens doesn't get much use because of its long, 2.5m minimum focus distance. But when I've had it out, it seems to be reasonably sharp with minimal aberrations.
[/url]

Tim

I see some similarities with my mysterious Oray-Higon 135mm 1:2.8 Distance scale is similar, 2.5m cfd with short throw and 58mm filter thread. It is a Exakta mount and probably from France. Some store brand.

Oray-Higon Auto Tele 135mm 1:2..8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

landstrykere wrote:
I got diverse lenses for free the other day, and there was a Kamero zoom. Search online brought me here at once.

MC Kamero Auto Zomm f3.5 to f16 35-105mm ø72 , M42 mount with auto-pin, A-M switch, macro ring:

I'm sure I've got this lens as a Vivitar with the TX mount, made by Tokina. I shall try to find it... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
landstrykere wrote:

I'm sure I've got this lens as a Vivitar with the TX mount, made by Tokina. I shall try to find it... Rolling Eyes

Sorry you are wrong ..
this a second version of the makina (makinon) 35-105 lens from ~1978/1979
The first version of makinon 35-105 was varifocal (as the 28/80) and in porduction from ~1976
The 2nd version (that version) was in competion with the Tokina made 35/105 also sold as vivitar (non tx) and soligor c/d

The vivitar Tx 35-105 is based on the third version of the tokina 35/105 = later.

Last edited by PBFACTS on Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar is Tokina made.
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-35-105-f3-5-t17883.html

You see them as soligor and other brands as well with a diamond pattern focus ring.

Lettering on the top side of the lens barrel is typical of Makina. Tokina, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Vivitar is Tokina made.
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-35-105-f3-5-t17883.html

You see them as soligor and other brands as well with a diamond pattern focus ring.

Lettering on the top side of the lens barrel is typical of Makina. Tokina, not so much.

The vivitar 35-105 3.5's are ALWAYS tokina made (the 3.2/4 is koobori/tefnon made)

That lens

is the first version of the tokina 35-105 (= soligor c/d) with macro engaged by the focal ring

The second version (not sold by soligor) has a separate macro button
[/url

The third version (more compact) exist in fixed and tx mount (see pic) and the macro position is engaged by the distance ring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
landstrykere wrote:

Sorry you are wrong ..
The first version of makinon 35-105 was varifocal (as the 28/80) and in porduction from ~1976
The 2nd version (that version) was in competion with the 1st version of the Tokina made 35/105 also sold as vivitar (non tx) and soligor c/d

The vivitar Tx 35-105 is based on the third version of the tokina 35/105 = later.

Last edited by PBFACTS on Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
landstrykere wrote:

Sorry you are wrong ..
The 2nd version (that version) was in competion with the Tokina made 35/105 also sold as vivitar (non tx) and soligor c/d

You're right.... I was thinking of this old Chinon 35-100 / 3.5 4.3 Rolling Eyes which isn't a bad lens, it's not great. But it has some similarites to the Kamero??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

You're right.... I was thinking of this old Chinon 35-100 / 3.5 4.3 Rolling Eyes which isn't a bad lens, it's not great. But it has some similarites to the Kamero??

According to Pentax forums it is based in Tamron's 35-100mm F3.5 (unsubstantiated though. There were a lot of Tamron's in this series of Chinon).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/chinon-35-100mm-f3-5-4-3-mc-close-focus.html
https://www-tamron-co-jp.translate.goog/data/old-lens/cz38m.htm?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

]

According to Pentax forums it is based in Tamron's 35-100mm F3.5 (unsubstantiated though. There were a lot of Tamron's in this series of Chinon).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/chinon-35-100mm-f3-5-4-3-mc-close-focus.html
https://www-tamron-co-jp.translate.goog/data/old-lens/cz38m.htm?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

The Chinon link is absolutely right, but I think this lens is probably Cimko ? I have seen it as Topcor, Super Carenar, Beroflex, Super Paragon, Revue and Soligor. Some of those brands are identical, particularly the Topcor. But some are slightly different cosmetically - and I doubt that brand changes would go as far as changing the front element / filter ring diamater, which I think ( from memory ) all the other brands share - 67mm dia.

The Tamron link? The CZ-38M has the 67mm filter ring, but the weight is way different. The Chinon is 568g and the Tamron 725g ( I have the Tamron SZ-38 38-100 / 3.8 and that is 834g ) so the Tamrons are way heavier.

It's a fact Woolworth didn't make that lens, they bought it in re badged, and I very much doubt they bought all their range of lenses from one source.
It's a fascinating excercise to chase down the manufacturer of these store branded lenses, we're all looking for the gems!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

]

NO tamron , Cimko for sure