Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter LTM-lenses to Leica-standard calibration (Europe)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Jupiter LTM-lenses to Leica-standard calibration (Europe) Reply with quote

Having picked up my M8 last week, I did a few quick snaps with my 1952-vintage Jupiter-3.

The rendering is of course beautiful on the M8 too. But as expected, the calibration for the rangefinder is slightly off due to a different rangefinder-standard used on FED & Zorki's compared to Leica's. This makes focusing at f/1.5 particularly challenging, especially for a RF-novice like myself.

I know of someone in the US who can do this. But I was wondering if someone knows a reputable address in Europe for this adjustment, and a general cleaning and lubrication? This would prevent delays due to overseas shipping and customs.

It's not super-urgent, as in the meantime I have other lenses to play with... but the J-3 is a favorite so would love to have it properly adjusted to Leica-spec Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have ever asked him about rangefinder adjustments, but my first guess would be Will van Manen, http://www.kamera-service.info. He does advertise his expertise in adjusting the rangefinder on Leica cameras, maybe he can adjust the lenses to such a spec as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Like 1 small That's actually not far at all, so if he does this work, no need for shipping Smile
I'll give him a call in the morning.

Also noticed he can do a few things for my 'cron-40 (so that it gives more appropriate framelines, and maybe even 6-bit-coding)

If others here have different suggestions, please post of course, it's always better to have more options Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update: I found one of my trusted Ukrainian addresses also started doing some Leica-calibration on J3 & J8. Due to shipping, on a J8 it is not cost-effective to ship it back & forth so simply ordered one already done (which is still much cheaper than the labour in Western Europe)

If and when he has time, he is willing to do my J3 for a relatively modest fee.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Small update: I found one of my trusted Ukrainian addresses also started doing some Leica-calibration on J3 & J8. Due to shipping, on a J8 it is not cost-effective to ship it back & forth so simply ordered one already done (which is still much cheaper than the labour in Western Europe)

Would you mind sharing your trusted Ukranian addresses? Like you said, it is nice to have alternatives. Will van Manen does good work, but sometimes it would be nice to have a more cost efficient alternative. I also just found out it will take him at least twice the previously projected time for his repairs on my lenses..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently he has no time, so it's not of much use right now. And for that reason also not very helpful towards him to post his details.

I will update though when I have news from him Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adjusted Jupiter-8 came in today.

Here the first few test-shots. Hasty and boring shots but wanted to try it out immediately.

1 @ f/2.8, the other at f/8.

Due to awesome weather, no desire to waste time at the pc fiddling in post, so SOOC-jpgs.

The most critical part, shooting at closer distances with a wider aperture, seems to work great.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Sjak wrote:

Would you mind sharing your trusted Ukranian addresses? Like you said, it is nice to have alternatives. Will van Manen does good work, but sometimes it would be nice to have a more cost efficient alternative. I also just found out it will take him at least twice the previously projected time for his repairs on my lenses..

You will have customs issues if not exported officially "for repair" and then get it back and present those papers - here turned out to be so much effort, that I won't do it anymore...

This is the official link to its procedure (only in German): http://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Zollverfahren/Passive-Veredelung/Passive-veredelung_node.html

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
The adjusted Jupiter-8 came in today.

Here the first few test-shots. Hasty and boring shots but wanted to try it out immediately.

1 @ f/2.8, the other at f/8.

Due to awesome weather, no desire to waste time at the pc fiddling in post, so SOOC-jpgs.

The most critical part, shooting at closer distances with a wider aperture, seems to work great.

Congrats, looks excellent!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus!

I'm very happy with this package. I knew the J-8 is a good lens, but it's been a while since I used one... and now adjusted for Leica... a really sweet package! And this is a 1986-vintage so with much better coatings than the older versions I've used so far.. much more forgiving on flare and ghosting.

Can't wait to give it a thorough spin soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd really like to know how the job is done, can you check if it's done with thin shims and not by grinding the rear part of the lens ?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched quite a few online links, it seems shimming is the way to go.

Today, I was on a small trip, and took the M8&J8 with me. It does work really well, now a matter of getting familiar with the combination.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update on this one... I had my 1952 Jupiter-3 CLA's and calibrated to Leica standard. I received it back earlier this week.

Today first time to play with it. Even at f/1.5 it's possible to get correct focus at portrait distance.

For now, 1 test shot, at f/8 or so. Somehow, I had forgotten I had left the Monochrom on ISO 3200 last time I used it, so pics are a bit gritty... well in this case it saved me the trouble of adding grain in post Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obligatory bokeh-test Thank You Dog

(camera jpg)