Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 kiev/contax to canon eos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 kiev/contax to canon eos Reply with quote

Hi everbody,

I own this great Jupiter-9 lens

. And I know it has a kiev/contax bayonet.

But how can i attach this to a digital canon eos?

Is there a adapter available? Maybe a Kiev P6 - eos adapter...

Hope that someone has the solution for this Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my p6 mounts dont look anything like this, sorry! im wondering if this is either a contax g mount or a kiev 10 mount....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Contax RF adapters to M-mount solutions out there. Here's a photo of one.

I believe the register for this is too short to work on an EOS. However on m4/3 you can use the above adapter in conjunction with the M-mount -> m4/3 adapter to get some photos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev/Contax range finder mount. No EOS mount adapter that I know of and if there was it would only give very close focusing.

I modified my lens (black painted version) to EOS mount (non-reversible surgery, so not for the faint hearted Wink ) allowing infinity focus and normal use on DSLR. I now like and use this lens a lot. In fact my other M42 MC J9 only gets rare use for soft focus effect at F/2, which is nice. But the modified J9 is sharp right from F/2 and is quite a different character. Mechanically, I also find it has a smoother/easier action and no aperture pre-set.

http://www.photography.gordonengland.co.uk/photo-gallery2/v/photo-equip/russian-lenses/jupiter-9-mod/

Regards

Fergus

Last edited by fergus on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had these bits lying around and never managed to put it together for my GF-1. I've taken my CZJ 80 1:2 Sonnar and put them together with the appropriate adapters for my GF-1.

The adapters

The adapters on my GF-1

It even works with Zeiss-Opton Biogon 35mm 1:2.8 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:

The adapters on my GF-1

Exclamation Idea

Post-war - pre-war?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss-Option's were post-war West German lenses, later the marque changed to 'Carl Zeiss'.

The lenses will certainly get a new life with my GF-1. Now to see if the wider lenses fit as well Wink I'll get a photo, next time I put the adapters together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my jupiter-9 is an old version from the '1950s.

But what kind of kiev/contax mount is it? Contax RF as was told above?

Which kiev?

Maybe this can help me further if there's a possibility to attach this to my canon eos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the Kiev/Contax bayonet from the Kiev-4 and friends (as well as Contax-II pre-war)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This even works with a Carl Zeiss Biogon 21mm f:4.5, but the rear element protective flange needs to be removed. Weather here is foggy for the weekend so I afraid no test shots can be shot. This makes the GF-1 kit very heavy compared to the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 pancake lens.

Now to see what I can do with the Contax G lenses/adapters. Looking forward to the adapter from Alex (hk300).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
I had these bits lying around and never managed to put it together for my GF-1. I've taken my CZJ 80 1:2 Sonnar and put them together with the appropriate adapters for my GF-1.

The adapters

The adapters on my GF-1

Hi, interesting, I have Helios103_50mmf1.8 RF mount, I am looking for the solution to mount on my camera/

May I know the contact to get the lens mount for either m4/3 or NEX E-mount camera bodies? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find adapters on the bay. Try to search Contax RF to Nex (or M43). I sell some also, but only localy (in France)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapters for Contax can be very expensive. A way to make one is to use a broken Kiev body. I made an adapter by taking the entire focusing mechanism from a Kiev body and monuting it into an M39 adapter. It was a perfect fit and needed practically no infinity adjustment. The helical screws right out so I can focus way closer than the normal 1 metre. It will take external bayonet lenses too but not the wides, because they go too deep into the body.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Adapters for Contax can be very expensive. A way to make one is to use a broken Kiev body. I made an adapter by taking the entire focusing mechanism from a Kiev body and monuting it into an M39 adapter. It was a perfect fit and needed practically no infinity adjustment. The helical screws right out so I can focus way closer than the normal 1 metre. It will take external bayonet lenses too but not the wides, because they go too deep into the body.

Hello, this is a shout to philslizzy, maybe you can help me out. I found 2 Jupiter lenses in Contax RF mount (9 and 11) in very good shape and I was wondering if I can use your method using the body mount of a Kiev camera and a leica m39 - nex adapter.

Would it be please possible to share some details about how to take the mount out of the Kiev and how to mount it on the m39 adapter? Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapnobatai wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Hello, this is a shout to philslizzy, maybe you can help me out. I found 2 Jupiter lenses in Contax RF mount (9 and 11) in very good shape and I was wondering if I can use your method using the body mount of a Kiev camera and a leica m39 - nex adapter.

Would it be please possible to share some details about how to take the mount out of the Kiev and how to mount it on the m39 adapter? Many thanks!

Be aware that there are two different Contax lens mounts, internal and external. The internal mounts are for 50mm lenses. They are expensive because the 50mm lenses do not have a built in focus ring. The focus ring is built into the camera (or adapter).

Other Contax lenses (35mm Biogon/Jupiter 12, 80mm Sonnar/Jupiter 9, 135mm Sonnar/Jupiter 11) have their built in focus rings. They attach to the external flanges of the contax camera mount, or can be used with inexpensive external mount adapters like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Microscope-S-Contax-RF-Lens-to-Leica-M-Lens-Adapter-M9-M-P-M3-M5-M7-M8-/112043982699?hash=item1a16577f6b:g:ItkAAOSwRQlXdd0z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. How can I know which type of bayonet do those Jupiter-9 and 11 have? Can you please confirm that jupiter9 and 11 have their own focusing mechanism? If it s like that I would only need a simple adapter, not the focusing one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapnobatai wrote:
Thanks for the reply. How can I know which type of bayonet do those Jupiter-9 and 11 have? Can you please confirm that jupiter9 and 11 have their own focusing mechanism? If it s like that I would only need a simple adapter, not the focusing one

The Contax Jupiter 9 has its own focusing ring, that is how it was designed.

Look at the first photograph in the first post of this conversation. That is a Jupiter-9. The ring with the numbers on it is the focusing ring.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that great news, thank you very much, I ll go for the Jupiter-9 (maybe also the 11, as they re pretty cheap together) and try to find a simple adapter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fergus wrote:
Kiev/Contax range finder mount. No EOS mount adapter that I know of and if there was it would only give very close focusing.

I modified my lens (black painted version) to EOS mount (non-reversible surgery, so not for the faint hearted Wink ) allowing infinity focus and normal use on DSLR. I now like and use this lens a lot. In fact my other M42 MC J9 only gets rare use for soft focus effect at F/2, which is nice. But the modified J9 is sharp right from F/2 and is quite a different character. Mechanically, I also find it has a smoother/easier action and no aperture pre-set.

Regards

Fergus

Hello all my first post.. i don´t know if anyone still around... but fergus made an interesting claim, that a jup 9 RangeFinder, with a contax/kiev mount could be used on a super-35 or aps-c canon EF camera..
but cannot acces the page he claimed that info came from.. I would love to contact you and lear how is it possible, as i'm in a pickle..
a friend i ask to look one for me.. he found one and directly without asking for propper refferences bought me one.. and i´m stuck with a lens i have to pay, but it´s, as is, of no use to me with a Canon eos C 300 EF..

anybody has a solution?

thanx

fergus if you still around, please contact me!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txus wrote:
fergus wrote:

I modified my lens (black painted version) to EOS mount (non-reversible surgery, so not for the faint hearted Wink ) allowing infinity focus and normal use on DSLR.

Regards

Fergus

... fergus made an interesting claim, that a jup 9 RangeFinder, with a contax/kiev mount could be used on a super-35 or aps-c canon EF camera.. but cannot acces the page he claimed that info came from..
fergus if you still around, please contact me!

Here it is ... just a little browsing on his website:
https://www.photographyobsession.co.uk/gallery3/photo-equip/russian-lenses/jupiter-9-mod

Gr S