Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 8 and 8m
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Jupiter 8 and 8m Reply with quote

For the longest time I was under the impression that the Jupiter 8 and 8m for kiev were identical aside from the lack of click-stops in the former. In looking at Princelle's "The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras" he says under the 8m "c.1957, using a recalculated 6 element formula..." I admit, I've not really invested a great deal of time in researching rangefinder lenses so maybe this is common knowledge/old hat? Apparently when production shifted from KMZ to Arsenal the rear element design was changed to a symmetrical one, making a modified sonnar scheme but not a direct copy as the earlier ones were.

Does anyone know if there's a real performance difference there? The older stuff is typically better, yes. Anyone tried an early 8 and an early 8m?

I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks so much!
~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny I had jusy wondered the same thing, will be interesting to see the responses. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, I thought someone might know given the rising popularity of these in the forum recently.

Let me approach it from another way. The LTM Jupiter 8 appears to have never been altered from its sonnar design origins. At least there is no mention or indication of a change. Why was this? Why no "8m" in LTM?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Aww, I thought someone might know given the rising popularity of these in the forum recently.

Let me approach it from another way. The LTM Jupiter 8 appears to have never been altered from its sonnar design origins. At least there is no mention or indication of a change. Why was this? Why no "8m" in LTM?

I believe there was a Jupiter-8H ( if translated "H" means "N" ) in LTM , but they were released in super small quantities and are very rare nowdays. It`s body was indeed different ,but I can`t say anything about the optical part. Maybe it was something simmiliar to the Jupiter 8m model?

Click on this link and at the end of the page you can see it : http://sovietcams.com/index.php?-483601546

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 8 and 8m Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Apparently when production shifted from KMZ to Arsenal the rear element design was changed to a symmetrical one, making a modified sonnar scheme but not a direct copy as the earlier ones were.

I rather doubt that. For one, a symmetrical Sonnar would not be a Sonnar, as the Sonnar is triplet derived and a triplet won't grow symmetric, regardless how often you split its elements. For the other, there is no visible difference in the off-element reflections between my '55 "P" Jupiter 8 and '69 8M. The Sonnar 2/50 and all Jupiter 8's are six element/three group designs, by the way - so there is no change there either. Recalculated very often merely means "to the same formula using different (cheaper|better) glass" - personally I suspect the former. as the performance (of good samples at least) did not change one way or the other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may very well be right. I was following the lead of the comments on this flickr picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritagefutures/6163025121/ and this forum thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-77463.html

I honestly don't know. Maybe I'm perpetuating mis-information, in which case, I apologize.