Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-8 (50/2) vs Minolta Rokkor-X (45/2)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-8 (50/2) vs Minolta Rokkor-X (45/2) Reply with quote

I have used the Minolta 45/2 in a low light concert setting with pretty good results & since I had the Jupiter-8 out of the cupboard I decided to test it against the Minolta.

G1 on a tripod, ISO 1600, f2.0, 1/60s, same processing on both.

1. Jupiter-8

2. Jupiter-8 centre crop

3. Minolta 45/2 centre crop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

41 views & not a single comment. Sad

Which one would you choose to take to the next concert?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are both great Ron!
Minolta is a little better
you still have vhs in Canada Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both a bit too noisy for me to really judge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
they are both great Ron!
Minolta is a little better
you still have vhs in Canada Shocked

Laf, the VHS still works but the newer DVD below does not.

I agree the Minolta is a bit better & more easily seen in the full size image than the small web size.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minolta is noticeably more contrasty. Personaly I like contrasty lenses. Well, I like contrasty pictures, that's more accurate.
It might be a slight bit sharper but it's really difficult to tell, maybe it's just the better contrast fouling my brain.

One thing that usually doesn't get much talked about is color rendition. We can't really judge that from that picture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
41 views & not a single comment. Sad

Which one would you choose to take to the next concert?

Hi Ron.
What is the serial number on your Jupiter? I saw some literature of a test which was done with Jupiter 8's, Jupiter 3's, Leica Elmarit, Fed 22, and the Jupiter 8m. If I remember correctly, beginning in '61 through the 60's, the J8 and J8m performed quite poorly. They seemed to rebound in '77 (black version). Of course, the 50's were outstanding.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter is noticeably sharper to me. They are pretty noisy pics which makes it hard to really judge. Maybe you can shoot em both in good light and low iso then we can judge better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Jupiter is noticeably sharper to me. They are pretty noisy pics which makes it hard to really judge. Maybe you can shoot em both in good light and low iso then we can judge better.

I shot deliberately in low light to emulate the environment I want to use the lens in.

Aspen, SN 6375158.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter has a wonderful bokeh, if you want to consider that aspect. Sonnar character. I like the results on spotlights, or highlights.
My sample improves considerably its contrast if you close the diaphragm slightly after f2 (You are able to see that directly with/on the viewfinder).

Last edited by Phenix jc on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with Phenix jc above. I also like the bokeh, and spotlights will create a great background with this lens. If I'm right in thinking that the G1 has a 2x crop factor then I would also take a 35mm with me.

Its been sometime since I shot in low light but I found that ISO 800 to be adequate with most of my lenses at f2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot this venue a few times before using Minolta 50/1.4 & Minolta 58/1.4 set to f2 @ maximum ISO & was lucky to achieve a shutter speed of 1/50s. the last time I shot a few frames with the Minolta 45/2 wide open & was surprised @ the outcome. Here is a shot with the 45/2:

I do not have a fast 35, 28 or 24, they are all f2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISO1600 of your G takes away much of the details that those lenses are capable to produce.
I also own both lenses and I think that my Rokkor 2/45 is a little sharper than my J8, but it's really hard to tell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The ISO1600 of your G takes away much of the details that those lenses are capable to produce.
I also own both lenses and I think that my Rokkor 2/45 is a little sharper than my J8, but it's really hard to tell.

That is my conclusion as well Lucis.

I failed to mention the above pic was taken @ ISO 3200 & 1/20s, so you can see I have to deal with very low light.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now Ron, yes indeed it is very low light. It would be interesting to see how a Takumar 55mm 1.8 would perform in such conditions? I use to use this lens myself and had great results at 800, but I think the stage I use to photograph was lit a bit better than yours.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby wrote:
I understand now Ron, yes indeed it is very low light. It would be interesting to see how a Takumar 55mm 1.8 would perform in such conditions? I use to use this lens myself and had great results at 800, but I think the stage I use to photograph was lit a bit better than yours.

I have that lens also & never considered it & I just remembered a Sears 50/2 in PK mount I have never tried out. So many lenses to try & little opportunity to try in the real environment. Next show will be the end of January & I plan on using a Canon FD 50/1.4 for the first time in that shoot along with some other lenses I have yet to decide on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron, yes the Canon FD 50/1.4 should get you better results I would of thought. I look forward to seeing the photo's. Very Happy