Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 6 180 mm, f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 6 180 mm, f2.8 Reply with quote

Is s nice to do a full CLA on such a lens, but the whole point is to take pictures with them and this Jupiter 6 has "something" special about it, in particular for portraits in my opinion, it was a pleasant surprise. Some personal thoughts: sharpness wide open is ok, if one nails the focus, not easy on a D700, sharper then the Tair 11 or Helios 40 wide open. I took just a few stoped down pics. Contrast is low and it doesn t like backlit situations much, colors are nice but a bit muted i think, something shared with the Tair and an alu Helios 44-2, also i got the feel that in this aspect the lens has two personalities, the colors is shadows are cooler and in direct sunlight warmer that with other lenses i own. Ca and LoCa are present but not overly so. At least to my eyes the lens can in the right situation make a nice depth separation, or thin dof 3D. The thing i like the most is how it does "classical" portraits, in this i think it s a bit special. Size and andling, not much to say, after an hour and a half walk with it no need for fitness, but the good thin is it makes feel all the other lenses small and light Smile

If i am not wrong all the pictures are wide open, except #3, shot at f5.6

for more and larger samples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131684321@N03/with/32018619194/

Last edited by tomasg on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic results and really nice presentation. A keeper obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excelent lens/ excelent eyes/ excelent hands/ excelent photos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too many shots to post,this seems to be an increasing problem of late Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
excelent lens/ excelent eyes/ excelent hands/ excelent photos

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Far too many shots to post,this seems to be an increasing problem of late Twisted Evil

Too many photos? Is there a limit of how many a post can have?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
kryss wrote:

I guess Kryss have a problem he want to have this lens badly Laugh 1

Excellent results, thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
tomasg wrote:
kryss wrote:

I guess Kryss have a problem he want to have this lens badly Laugh 1

Excellent results, thank you for sharing!

Thank you Attila!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

(it looks like a kind of random collection of images, some excellent some so so, hence why I understand the comments. Less is sometimes more Wink )

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Klaus.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

(it looks like a kind of random collection of images, some excellent some so so, hence why I understand the comments. Less is sometimes better Wink )

Now i understand what kryss meant, mostly they are meant to show the lens good and bad points, like LoCa, near and far (though the lens doesen t reach infinity on a Nikon body) focus sharpness, back/side lit rendering, oof highlights, color in different lightning, black and withe rendering, bokeh at various distances (this is why 3 alost same portraits at the end) and with different backgrounds (busy or plain) etc.
I appriciate what you both are saying, and i admit that "selection" is not my strong point, i would be a very bad art director Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Thank you! Klaus.....

Now i understand what you meant, at first i thought you where complaining about the number of the pics because of the space they take on the server. Mostly there are so many to show different aspects of the lens rendering, the only pics in the series to have a bit of artistic merit in my opinion would be #7 for reasons only i can understand Smile, #11 is more obvious, #23 because he looks good, but i am his father so i am biased Smile The last one for example is pure fun, he posted it on his Facebook titled "where is my motorcycle?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg...Please accept my apology,there has been a number of really long posts recently and I guess I was not feeling in best of moods today.Incidentely I know from experience there are no good Art Directors. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
tomasg...Please accept my apology,there has been a number of really long posts recently and I guess I was not feeling in best of moods today.Incidentely I know from experience there are no good Art Directors. Wink

No need to apologize, i didn t felt ofended at all, i find the discussions on this forum in general on a nice civilized level and based on arguments and not on personal fighting. I remember Klaus making a very similar remark about quality over quantity on a post i made some time ago, and i agree with the logic behind it but i am not very good at selecting the "best" pictures. Can any "artist" do it in an objective way? I guess there is a reason why there are artistic artists.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice all around, especially the portraits. Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
Very nice all around, especially the portraits. Like 1

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jupiter and Helios lenses are especially good for pretty sharp pictures that have lower contrast and avoid some of the overly crisp, high contrast looks that are universal today. Excellent for portraits and filmic pics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to put up with my Anniversary edition Tamron 180mm f2.5 LD IF. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
I think Jupiter and Helios lenses are especially good for pretty sharp pictures that have lower contrast and avoid some of the overly crisp, high contrast looks that are universal today. Excellent for portraits and filmic pics.

This is exactly how these lenses look to me also. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I will have to put up with my Anniversary edition Tamron 180mm f2.5 LD IF. Rolling Eyes

Looks to me that it s not a bad alternative Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more than alternative and fairly rare Wink