Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A Special Edition for Olympic Games 1980 in Moscow
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 37A Special Edition for Olympic Games 1980 in Moscow Reply with quote

Hello All,

Has anybody information about a special edition of the Jupiter 37A lenses, made for the olympic games in Moscow in 1980?
I found this exemplar. There is the sign of the olympic games 1980 in Moscow printed on the chassis in white and also in gold on the quiver.
This lens was produced in 1979.
Has anybody more information about these special edition?
How many were produced?
I guess these lens is more interesting for collectors. My example seems to be very complete including lens, manual, quiver with carrying strap and lenshood.

Every information is welcome.

Greetings from Germany

Dirk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, every seller tries to make you believe these are special.
They printetd that logo on almost every camera and on a lot of lenses. They are not rare and not difficult to find. Sometimes you see even Micha printed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 37A Special Edition for Olympic Games 1980 in Mo Reply with quote

Ventus2 wrote:
Hello All,

Has anybody information about a special edition of the Jupiter 37A lenses, made for the olympic games in Moscow in 1980?
I found this exemplar. There is the sign of the olympic games 1980 in Moscow printed on the chassis in white and also in gold on the quiver.
This lens was produced in 1979.
Has anybody more information about these special edition?
How many were produced?
I guess these lens is more interesting for collectors. My example seems to be very complete including lens, manual, quiver with carrying strap and lenshood.

Every information is welcome.

Greetings from Germany

Dirk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not that much information on them.
There's no confirmed quality, coating, or optical difference. Just the printed symbol and a nicer plastic case. I have a grey/gold colored one. Mine too is from '79.

The kits are much less common than the normal ones because they were only produced for about 2-3 years. That's not to say they're uncommon since many Jupiters were made in that time, but in terms of collectability, it does kick it up a little bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there's anything special about this lens vs the other lenses of the same model. Back in the late 70s the only product they didn't put the Olympic logo on was the toilet paper. Which is not to say that the lens itself is bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moscow Summer Olympics was in 1980, but could be they began earlier to print the logo, the inscription and the Micha bear.

The USA boycotted the games and many western and african countries joined them.
The CCCP boycotted the next games (1984, Los Angeles) accompanied with the entire eastern block excepting Romania. I remember watching it in direct transmission late in the night due to time shift.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
Moscow Summer Olympics was in 1980, but could be they began earlier to print the logo, the inscription and the Micha bear.

The USA boycotted the games and many western and african countries joined them.
The CCCP boycotted the next games (1984, Los Angeles) accompanied with the entire eastern block excepting Romania. I remember watching it in direct transmission late in the night due to time shift.

The UK Olympic committee of athletes ignored the UK government's request to boycott the Moscow Olympics and went anyway Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good lens, marginally more rare than a normal variety. But looks in good condition and is a lucky find I think.

Amamba wrote:
I doubt there's anything special about this lens vs the other lenses of the same model. Back in the late 70s the only product they didn't put the Olympic logo on was the toilet paper. Which is not to say that the lens itself is bad at all.

We've got a bread board with the olympic logo - correction HAD one, the wife binned it!!! but we do have a Micha..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians had 2 emblems that they put on almost all products available in that time : the Olympic logo and mark of quality. The Olympic logo was used on countless cameras and some lenses, and in general is not considered to be rare. Yes there are some cameras that do have this logo and are very desirable by collectors, however you can find most of the any day now. The same thing is with this J-37a. They were produced in very large quantities both the year of the Olympic games and a few years after that ( unconfirmed ). So a part from the looks this lens is not rare, nor it is worth more that the one`s that do not have the logo. As for the build quality.....this is the same J-37A lens like all others. They differ in quality depending on the batch, like all other Russian lenses, so there are no expectations to be had that this lens had "special" attention put into making it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "smart" sellers" [1] discovered the "rarity" of the CCP quality sign and of the GDR 1Q sign. I wonder how they have not discoverd the japanese JMDC. LOL

[1] These are the sellers who point you out how they are selling lens worth their weight in gold and at the same time try to convince anybody they buy from that they have only worthless old junk they can offer no money for.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing is a wondrous thing.
Here are two images from a J-37A with the CCCP logo - I am sure that they are no different in quality from any other J-37A.
It is a very good lens in any livery.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I've recently stumbled upon a Jupiter 37A Olympics version. It's priced about twice as much as later MC version. I doubt that this is any sort of 'limited' quality lens, but I'm curious - what other lenses did have similar "olympics" series? I've only seen the aforementioned Jupiter so far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it's the only lens. It was more common on cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Canon/Canon-F-1N-Olympics-%27Los-Angeles-1984%27.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_AE-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-FED-4-Olympic-Edition-Soviet-Rangefinder-35mm-Camera-w-s-lens-INDUSTAR-61-/182310307806?epid=103062677&hash=item2a728a87de:g:0SgAAOSwLF1X~Nn2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-USSR-KIEV-4-MOSCOW-80-OLYMPICS-CAMERA-JUPITER-8m-LENS-ITEM-4-/172865466681?hash=item283f95b139:g:80YAAOSwEupZf1ay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenit-EM-Olympics-Camera-with-Helios-44-2-58mm-f-2-Lens-c-1972-84-/142385879176?hash=item2126dc1888:g:-3EAAOSw1WJZHGgd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
As far as I know, it's the only lens. It was more common on cameras.

I had a J37 that the logo was printed on the case.

80 serial if I remember right.