Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5 (without MC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5 (without MC) Reply with quote

Hello

Some time ago I bought Jupiter 37A, well known 135mm lens, for about 14Euros with postage. I was a little bit worried how it will perform as there is a lot of talking about how MC is necessary. However MC version goes for around 35Euros and for my wallet it is a little too much.

Well... after some time I must admit I cannot see that non MC version is unusable or even hard to use in real life. I was shooting without thinking where the sun is and whether or not it will spoil the image and you could judge by yourself if MC was necessary here.

One thing, I bought Jupiter with orginal box/tube/package and hood, so the hood was on the lens itself all the time during the shoot.

And here it is, Jupiter 37A itself:

And here we go with the photos taken. Files are JPGs straight from the Canon EOS600d (sharpness and saturation set to +1 in body's Picture Style).

ISO 400, f/3.5

ISO 200, f/3.5

ISO 200, f/5.6

ISO 400, f/5.6-8.0

ISO 200, f/4.0-5.6

ISO 200, f5.6

ISO 200, f/4.0-5.6

ISO 200, f/3.5

ISO 200, f/4.0

ISO 200, f/3.5

ISO 200, f/4.0

ISO 200, f/8.0

ISO 200, f/4.0-5.6

Last edited by PhantomLord on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results! I have the same lens except where yours has yellow paint for the serial number and aperture values, mine is white. Mine is an earlier version judging by the S/N.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very skilful photography, a delight to see. Thank you so much! I love the colours and sharpness of Russian lenses.
Edgar, when are we going to see some pictures from your lens? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a lot!

I must say it was first proper shoot with this Jupiter 37A and I absolutely adore it.

Concerning colours of letters/numbers I saw probably every possible combination on auctions and photos, what made me thinking there is not any meaning in that. I think it was just Soviet Russia attitude - we do not have yellow paint, so let's make white letters. Of course I might be wrong.
But I agree with 'peterqd', I as well love the Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Thank you a lot!

I must say it was first proper shoot with this Jupiter 37A and I absolutely adore it.

Concerning colours of letters/numbers I saw probably every possible combination on auctions and photos, what made me thinking there is not any meaning in that. I think it was just Soviet Russia attitude - we do not have yellow paint, so let's make white letters. Of course I might be wrong.
But I agree with 'peterqd', I as well love the Russian lenses.

I can't say anything certain about there being a paint shortage but this sort of thing was and still is very common in communist economies. In Russia there was a soap shortage in the 80's. In Poland I read there was a toilet paper shortage but I don't know if this really happened. More recently all of Cuba ran out of toilet paper and currently in Venezuela there is a toilet paper shortage along with many other basic necessities.

The changing of paint colour on the lens could be because of shortages in certain pigments or it could also be style change. Assuming that it's due to shortages is likely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Edgar, when are we going to see some pictures from your lens? Wink

Soon Peter, soon. Wink Laughing

And your Vivitar? Wink