Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37 A 135mm Sample
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 37 A 135mm Sample Reply with quote

Recently got Jupiter 37A 135mm. Took it out today to test it. First impression: Really sharp lens with super smooth bokeh. Some samples:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples.

I also very much enjoy this lense. My favorite 135.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens. One of the best 135.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounted on?

i am glad to see the forsythia buds and other signs of spring up your way. we are not far ahead down here in my river valley. spring is a tad late this year ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted on sony a200.. believe it or not it is near chicago. Weather is been really good this past week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a very nice lens.

How does it compare to the CZ 135 Sonnar (to anyone that has used both)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have CNJ 135mm but I have heard that Jupiter 37A is its clone. So it should replicate its performance. What say..?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have CNJ 135mm but I have heard that Jupiter 37A is its clone. So it should replicate its performance. What say..?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace lens nice samples- personally I prefer the J37A to the CZJ sonnar but they are very similar to my eyes anyway- they used to be a good bit cheaper than a sonnar too but not so much anymore, maybe that gives an indication as to the quality. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Ace lens nice samples- personally I prefer the J37A to the CZJ sonnar but they are very similar to my eyes anyway- they used to be a good bit cheaper than a sonnar too but not so much anymore, maybe that gives an indication as to the quality. Very Happy

Well my 37A is on its way to me so I'll do a comparison if it ever stops raining!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very nice inexpensive 135mm.
I got one of these last year and like it very much. There was a ton of exposed grease and I was a bit afraid that some might get on the sensor. Took mine apart to clean and re-lube it and had a bit of a hard time putting the focusing helicoid back. Anyways.
For the quality it delivers this is IMO the most underrated manual lens in my bag.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***It's a very nice inexpensive 135mm.***

HUH not on ebay, only ones ATM are from Russia £50 inc del....an inexpensive 135mm is a Vivitar 135mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version do you have Ash?

I agree with Ron, this lens is my favourite 135 too. I was influnced by the pictures Orio took with his and I wasn't disappointed. It's difficult to find a bad 135 but the J-37A with its superb colour rendition really does shine. Mine is the old-style plain 37A (not MC) with white lettering and the 1980 Olympic logo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know is what version of my copy is? SN started with 846xxx. Does this also mean this lens is built in Y1984?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That serial number does indeed suggest the year as you state. I am no expert, but it looks like a multi coated version looking at the glass.

I await confirmation by our Russian equipment guru Mr Poolhall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MC version. Same as djmike. Really like this lens. And got that as a gift on my birthday Laughing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
That serial number does indeed suggest the year as you state. I am no expert, but it looks like a multi coated version looking at the glass.

I await confirmation by our Russian equipment guru Mr Poolhall.

Yes this is a production year. But this is not a multi-coated version. At least all multi-coated versions I saw before have MC designation and a bluish or greenish coating. But what is strange that MC versions were produced already in 1983 (or may be even before) so it means both MC and non-MC versions were pruced some period in parallel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 1984 ok and Dmitrygo is quite right usually if its multicoated it has #MC on it in red, my Jupiter 37A is not multicoated and its 1985- my Jupiter 37AM is multicoated has 'MC' on it and is 1994. BTW there is also an H-30 designation that both Moleman342 and I think no-x have seen which I believe is an early designation for MC but as yet cannot be proved . Whichever version it is an excellent lens and I too rarely go out without one or the other with me Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I concur. The versions I know about are:

Single-coated:
37A
37AM

Multi-coated
MC 37A
MC 37AM

I think the "M" stands for "modernised" These are later versions which have the lettering in green and yellow. Prior to this the lettering was in white.

Thanks to whoever it was for explaining the preset mechanism on this lens. I never knew that before. I thought the lens was just a simple stop-down like the I-50! Smile

Is it OK to post one or two sample pics here taken with the different versions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Is it OK to post one or two sample pics here taken with the different versions?

I would be very interested to know which version is the best. I plan to get one of these soon and am not entirely sure which one to get yet. Maybe a new thread would be ideal for the real comparison?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Orio saying he'd tried all the different versions and didn't find a lot of difference. The MC versions might be a little more contrasty maybe, but that was never a shortcoming with the older ones.

This is with my plain old 37A:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter has a good copy. Here is mine shot in last weekend before rain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived and it appears to be single coated.

I thought the M designation on Russian lenses meant that worked with auto diaphragm?

It may be a sonnar copy but it's not as sharp as one in my quick tests. It's about level with my Pentacon but obviously slower. I need to test this lens against my other 135s as I don't have room for 3 of them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one coming today as well, with a Zenit 12XP (yay!) and a Helios 44M-4. One can never have enough Helios 44s Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
One can never have enough Helios 44s Laughing

I'm learning to agree with this statement