Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-3 50mm F1.5 (Model: PT1630 - Year 1952)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Jupiter-3 50mm F1.5 (Model: PT1630 - Year 1952) Reply with quote

These Sample shots were taken at a Event in DTLA, Perfect time to put a fast lens to use. I had to do some editing with white balancing and color adjustments in Lightroom since the lens gave all the images a yellow tint since the glass is yellow (defect of glue? old age? Golden Coating?). These sample shots were exported from their Raw File. Camera used was the Sony A7. It's a Keeper.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results.
I can see why you like it so much
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice stuff Andy! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat Nice results...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos, interesting subject matter.
I wonder if the yellow color of the lens can be removed by exposure
to the sun or an led lamp?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Nice photos, interesting subject matter.
I wonder if the yellow color of the lens can be removed by exposure to the sun or an led lamp?

I heard that only works on a thoriated lens, this isn't one of them, my Geiger counter says 0, I'll see if I can find a cheap UV lamp to test this anyways.

Did some dig around on other forums. Might be the coating, this User has a 1951 version and he explains it just like mine. Other later models were more likely to be blue.

Quote:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32741
"my Jupiter-3 from 1951 has purple coatings (definitely no blue reflection!) and is quite yellow when looked through (I like the warm color rendition thou)"

When I look at the lens at an angle it has a purple color, look through and it's yellow just like how he explains his.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results! I have the Contax RF mount version, its glass also has a yellow tint.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Very nice results! I have the Contax RF mount version, its glass also has a yellow tint.

Are you sure the glass itself is tinted? A lot of the early Soviet J-3 and J-8 (and likely other lenses also) had a yellowish single coating.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coating never changes the transmission characteristics of a lens massively (if done properly),
it is the glass that shows browning.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Are you sure the glass itself is tinted? A lot of the early Soviet J-3 and J-8 (and likely other lenses also) had a yellowish single coating.

That is what i meant, i think is t the coating, when looking thru the lens into a white surface it doeyn t have a distinct yellow tint, something that is very obvious in a Helios 40 85/1.5 for example.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
newst wrote:
tomasg wrote:

That is what i meant, i think is t the coating, when looking thru the lens into a white surface it doeyn t have a distinct yellow tint, something that is very obvious in a Helios 40 85/1.5 for example.

That's a contradiction: if you don't see yellowish against a white sheet of paper, the sensor will see the same and it is not there, it isn't Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
tomasg wrote:
newst wrote:
tomasg wrote:

That's a contradiction: if you don't see yellowish against a white sheet of paper, the sensor will see the same and it is not there, it isn't Wink

Probably i didn t explain it well.The Helios has a distinct yellow tint when looking thru it and it gives warmer colour, it has a purple coating. The Jupiter doesn t have a distinct yellow tint when looking thru it, it has yellow glass surfaces, but the colors are slightly warmer. Of course when comparing the colour rendering of lenses one must use a fixed white balance value of course.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours are so clean, and no visible bokeh. One could difficultly say it is made with a Jupiter-3. Then the choice of the distance and the way you approach your objects gives a great effect of reality and presence. Such beautiful shots!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is old but these are some great photos. So much depth, of rich pastel tones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures.

alex ph wrote:
no visible bokeh.

This statement makes no sense.
Bokeh is like texture, it always has it, unless the whole image is in sharp focus within the plane of focus, like a picture of a painting or brick wall.

bo·keh
bōˈkā/
nounPhotography
noun: bokeh

the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens.
"a quick, visual survey of the foreground and background bokeh of a variety of lenses"

tex·ture
ˈteksCHər/
noun
noun: texture; plural noun: textures

the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your attention to details. I just meant that you do not see here the bokeh typical for Jupiter-3. The one you could expect looking at the background buildings, while the the lens is focused rather closely on performing persons. As long as I expressed that too quickly and elliptic, the observation sounded like a nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Coating never changes the transmission characteristics of a lens massively (if done properly),
it is the glass that shows browning.

+1